Coolant low - on a SVT Focus

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
Guy I need some help with this. I'm stratching my head trying to figure out why coolant and power steering levels are low.

This weekend was nice, so I rolled it out and started it. Of coarse, the battery is hooked to a battery tender. Focus started up and was fine. But a look over noticed the coolant level was about a quarter or an inch lower than MIN and the lower steering was at MIN. I stored the car in Oct. and all the fluids were fine. I let the car sit for a 30 min and rolled it up and down the driveway, I noticed the coolant raised to above MIN almost halfway. I did hear a pinging in the engine but I did store the car with a half a tank of gas so im assuming water. No leaks on the ground. I'm puzzled. Could the pinging mean the coolant is draining into the engine? Any thoughts?

Focus has 21000 miles. It does have Tom's Tune and steeda motor mounts. I did check the t-stat and no leaks that I could see. No white cystally like substance on the ground of anywhere that I could see. Motor oil is still brown with no discoloration.

Could the fact that I have not driven it so long play a factor in low fluid levels? Maybe air in the system from the factory?

You had the thing sitting so everything drains to the bottom. The pinging is the lifter are dry. So let it run and drive it around it should stop. I wouldn't worry about it. If you have coolant in the engine the oil would be a creamy brown color. I'm sure everything is fine. I had a 2005 Focus. It sat in storage for 3 months. I started it and everything was fine once it got all lubed up again. Changing the oil and filter would be a good idea.

Its needs an oil change too. I don't think I changed it since 12/07 :( yes thats bad but it does have amsoil synthetic in it. All the fluid colors look good just that everything is low.

Could be the fuel. If you didnt put any sta-bil in it. Temp changes with 1/2 tank means condensation. Especially if you are runing a performace tune. Might need to treat it with a little octane booster.

The temperature change will affect the fluid levels a good amount..

Todd Z

Todd is correct. The coolant expands when it's warm/hot and will rise to a higher level in the overflow reservoir. Oil and other fluids are similar in that they will eventually all drop to the lowest point in the system. If you check the fluids when they are warm they have not had time to drain down to the lowest point in the syste. If the then check the fluids after 6 months of sitting, you will notice they are lower....very normal.

If you are going to store a car and expect to fire it up and drive it right away, you should start it and drive it every few weeks or at least once a month. Funny things happen to cars when they sit for 3+ months, especially in the winter time.

...Rich

Latest posts