Coolant type

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Zuber

Reaction score
I want to do a coolant change tomorrow and dealership is closed. Is there a coolant that meets the Motocraft Preminum Gold spec (besides the Motocraft)? What about the Walmart SuperTech? thanks

Zerex G-05 is for Fords, I buy it locally @ my NAPA parts store it's about $11 a gallon. I have bought it in the past @ Pep Boys too. It's even in a gold gal.jug. I've used it since my 1st antifreeze change on my 2001 & our son's 2005 ST.

If it says:

compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant regardless of color for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks.

then it's OK for use in our Tracs. I was told this by two different Ford service techs at two different dealerships. The above quote means that it's made to the same specs set forth by Ford as the OEM gold coolant.

Have used PEAK premixed antifreeze from day one without issues. (Not mixed with another brand)

Label says it meets ALL OEM specs and requirements, and is compatible with any vehicle.

$5 per gallon, on sale. As Les, Bill, and Andy said, don't see any point of using the Ford coolant.

Have no intention of using it for 150K, what they guarantee it for. (Meaning what?)

Last edited by a moderator:

compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant regardless of color for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks.

I don't buy this statement. Have you seen all the freaking out by the various manufacturers regarding coolant types/colors and to NEVER mix them? Have you read the manuals to see all the different maintenance flush/fill mileage and time changing specifications? There has got to be more to this than what Prestone and a few others claim (that their stuff mixes fine with anything).

Wife's Subaru manual pretty much says we will die if we ever use anything except Subaru coolant. I have not found anything on the market that meets the Subaru specification number.

As different as the GM and Ford coolants are, I can't see any generic stuff being OK for both.

Both Prestone and Zerex meet or exceed manufacturers specs with their products. Here are links to pages showing which of their products are recommended for OEM specs:

<a href="http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Zerex_CoolantChart.pdf">Valvoline/Zerex Coolant</a>

<a href="http://www.prestone.com/carcare/faq.php#q4">Prestone Coolant</a>

Based on these recommendations, if you use the product that corresponds to the OEM spec for your vehicle, you're fine. Of course the car manufacturer would prefer that you use OEM coolant, 'cause that's more $$$ back in their pockets. But it won't harm your car if use the right aftermarket coolant.

I've been running Zerex in my Trac for a while now, and not had any problems whatsoever.

I don't buy this statement. Have you seen all the freaking out by the various manufacturers regarding coolant types/colors

Yea, I agree. I have a Toyota, Chrysler, Honda and my Ford ST...all different..maybe. None are helping the consumer.:smile0005:

Do metals corrode in seconds ????

You will not see ill effects till years down the road.....

mixing coolants also tarnishes the colors you can not tell the condition and other factors you need to properly maintain a system....

At least if your going to mix coolants, flush the system and replace all of it...

Also the FORD gold is not that expensive...... only need 2 gallons mixed for a flush....

IS the extra $20.00 worth it ??????

5 years from now a heater core goes ??? Fords problem?? mixed coolants ?? I bet 100% the owner BLAMES ford....

I am NOT rich enough to be cheep...... Sorry...

Todd Z

When we had our '01 escape. It had the green coolant. I had it flushed and filled at the dealer. I asked for the Gold to be put in. The writer and the tech said no. Gave me some excuse about difference in cooling system components.

When I insisted my disbelief. They said if I wanted gold coolant do it myself. Then if we had any cooling system failure any warranty for the system would be null and void. I told them they were full of it. But I let them do there thing. Lost the '01 in a flood 3 months latter, anyway.

My 2002 sport trac specs for coolant (from my owners manual) states that I can use the green ford spec number is ESE-M97B44-A, or the gold ford spec number WSS -M97B51-A1

The green Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant meets or exceeds the performance requirements of the following specifications: Ford ESE-M97B44-A

Although ford states either can be used as long as coolant is fully flushed, they do not recommend mixing the two.

Latest posts