Coolant Type

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phillip W

Reaction score
Finally about to do a coolant flush, went to the Ford place and almost fell over- $25 a gallon for coolant- seriously?? :btddhorse: I did some reading and heard good things about Zerex G-05 coolant. Has anyone used this- NAPA has it for $15 a gallon. I have a 04 Sport Trac and it has the orange-ish coolant in it and it seems this is very similar.

thanks

Maybe Im wrong, but I think the G-05 is for GM only. Be sure and read the label.

IMO any major brand coolant is good. When it meets spec. I changed my '04 coolant last year.

After talking with some techs. i went with the peak multi service. Looks green,but turns yellow with water. Got it on sale plus a rebate.

I have used peak and zerex in the past. Im not worried at all. Some may disagree, with this and that reasoning. Some things I wont buy from ford. And I have never had a problem.

When I had to replace my leaky thermostat housing, I decided to change the coolant as well. I used Prestone Extended Life 50/50 Prediluted Coolant. It's safe for all makes/models, and I've had no problems whatsoever with it.

I read that all makes, all models usually has some additives missing that Ford or others have listed in the specs. I know the G-05 is not GM - your thinking of Dexcool.

Eddie- Had me worried for a second, used G-05 for my first and only coolant change.

Approved by Ford and DaimlerChrysler for use in automotive and diesel engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
I changed coolant when I bought the ST @ 46K.

Used Peak Long Life and replaced it one month later.

A previous post from Andy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not worried. After doing my research.

I flush every 3 yrs anyway. This 4.0L motor has been around long before motorcraft gold.

The only change has been push rod to SOHC.

It may be good coolant. But I do smell some snake oil, from ford.

This reads funny, IMO...

A: Ford does not have performance data for the multitude of engine coolants available in the aftermarket and therefore cannot recommend the use of any coolant except those approved by Ford Motor Company. Due to the complexity of cooling systems, no one coolant has been proven to work in all vehicles. "Universal" coolants generally do not contain silicates and nitrites, both of which are required for Ford vehicles equipped with Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant. Thus, these "universal" coolants generally do not meet Ford's coolant specification WSS-M97B51-A1.

I have never seen coolant without silicates in 20yrs. The nitrates are for diesels.

The ONLY OEM fluids I use in my ST's is the coolant and the tranny fluid.....

Its not worth the $20.00 savings in my eyes...

Todd Z

+ 1 What Todd says!

I only use OEM coolants and transmission fluids in my vehicles too. Vehicles are too expensive to be fooling around with "universal" fluids that are specifically NOT RECOMMENDED by the manufacturer. Especially our Sport Trac's transmissions-- these things seem to be very picky. With all the cooling system troubles reported here (tanks blowing, thermostats failing, corrosion, rust, clogging heater cores, etc.) I am not about to gamble on a coolant that the manufacturer says will not work in my Trac.

The few extra dollars I spend on OEM are worth it to me to use the correct fluids.

I agree with Todd, factory coolant and trans fluid no matter what make the vehicle is. As far as coolants go the Motorcraft Gold is, in my opinion, one of the best coolants out on the market today, on the other end of the spectrum Dexcool is the worst.

Eddie,

Not to be argumentative but the 4.0 has gone through some major redesign since inception over the years. Realistically about the only thing that is the common between all of them is that they are all designated 4.0 litre engines.