Coolant

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norm Reeves

Reaction score
When I bought my used '03 it had, and still has, green anti-freeze in the cooling system.

Today I found out the '03 and up coolant should be green for Canada, yellow for USA.

Should I be concerned about this?:sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
A move to Canada might fix this.

If it's an aftermarket anti-freeze, you'd have to verify what is the brand and what the color means, and, without a record, that won't be easy.

Geographical location isn't the direct concern; it's either the climate or internal engine part differences, by region, or both. Any chance it's built for Canadian distribution (with the VIN, a dealer can tell, and there are on-line sources for this information).

If it's been in there for several years I think I would not be concerned, but maybe have the system checked. Maybe it's due for a change anyway(?).

Zerex G-05 (Gold/Yellow)

Approved by Ford and DaimlerChrysler for use in automotive and diesel engines.

GREEN for 2003..... My 03 USA has green.....

Todd Z

Prestone has at least four (4) different types of coolant, but then their first one on the list says this:

Prestone? Concentrate Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant ? regardless of color ? for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks.

No wonder consumers get so confused when trying to know what to use for their vehicles!

As for me, I will continue to buy the expensive stuff from Ford for my Trac, which happens to be the Motorcraft Gold Coolant, which has this warning:

Do not mix different colors or types of coolant in your vehicle. Make sure the correct coolant is used. Mixing of engine coolants may harm your engine?s cooling system. The use of an improper coolant may harm engine and cooling system components and may void the warranty

◦Do not use this product in systems originally equipped with the orange-colored Motorcraft? Orange Antifreeze/Coolant, meeting Ford Specifications WSS-M97B44-D or ?D2, or with the fluorescent green-colored Motorcraft? Premium Antifreeze/Coolant, meeting Ford Specification ESE-M97B44-A (refer to the Motorcraft? usage chart for exceptions), or with the dark green-colored Motorcraft? Specialty Green Engine Coolant, meeting Ford Specification WSS-M97B55-A

My '01 has green, which is correct. My '02 has yellow as does my daughter's '02 Sable. I think either is recommended for the one of the STs. Some brands of antifreeze say "compatible with any color" for whatever that's worth.

I type slow, and was typing as the 2 posts above were being posted.

That chart is excellent, Gavin! Thank you!

When I bought my 07 last year it had Dexcool (orange) in it. When I took it to my local shop for a thermostat repair, I found out that it should NOT have DexCool in it. They flushed it and replaced with the proper coolant (now green); also suspect that this was the reason to blowing the thermostat housing (no problem since). The previous owner would always have it serviced at a Ford Dealership, you would think that they would know what the proper fluids are supposed to be. :banghead:

Keith S.

Thanks y'all for the comments. According to the coolant charts mine should be yellow. It has had green since I bought it. Just had radiator, thermostat, lower housing, and a flush by ford and it still has green.....[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts