Corporate Mentality

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I was doing a web search for a draw bar for my '07 and ran across a board somewhere(with I had saved it) but it was talking about the demise of the ST. I don't remember whether this guy was from a dealership or FMC but he said the reason Ford started phasing out the ST was the fact that starting with the '07 the sales figures showed that the Trac was about to surpass the sales of the 150. Sounds kinda weird to me but an interesting thought. We all know that the 150 is the flagship and nobody messes with the flagship.

Jim

I always thought that ford should have just renamed the Sport Trac a 'Ford 150 Mini' and then they would still preserve their 'precious' 150 popularity. I sure don't need a truck the size of a 150 and when I am ready to replace the Trac, I will now have to find some other truck that fits my 'size' needs, regardless of the manufacturer.

F150 sales in US and Canada for 2007= 764,207

All models of Explorers (includes ST numbers) in US for 2007 = 137,817

I don't think Ford was worried about the ST overtaking the F150.

I think the official Ford position has always been declining sales of the ST was its demise.

I heard the same as Rangers484. Declining market share.

Heard several comments that why not keep the Ranger, offer a crew cab option, facelift it to look more like F150, and rebadge it the F-100. Total sales would increase as you would have a model that would work for almost all customers. Ford ads could still state that we sell more F series Pickups than any other make or model.

I have several Farmer friends who have Extended cab full size pickups and they say my Trac still has more seating and better visibility than their cab and a half full size pickups and they like riding to Farm shows in mine.....wait maybe they just say that as I am burning my gas ? (GRIN)

I was Parts Mgr at a Ford Dealership for 31 years and have lost count how many Courier's then Rangers and now a 2007 Sport Trac w/ 110,000 miles that I have had.Trying to make Trac last as long as I can drive. "Wife tells me since I am 73 that may be closer than I think !" Anyway, I love F-150's , just more truck than I need . My wife and sister and law who are 74 and 72 would have trouble with entry height of F-150. We now live in a Condo but still have a little farm ground out in country . I have some weed cutting equipment chain saws, tools, Trac and Van in the garage. A F-150 would really crowd the garage.

I had a large wholesale business when I worked at Ford Dealership so am good friends with GMC and Chevy Dealers here in town who were good wholesale customers of mine. If I had to trade the Trac I would give the new Colorado or Canyon that's coming more than a good look !

Last edited by a moderator:
by Rangers484Member Profile,9/30/2014 18:29 ET

F150 sales in US and Canada for 2007= 764,207

Are you sure those numbers aren't combined for all the F series trucks and not just the F150. Ford has a way of spinning the information. They say the F series is the best selling truck while they play the commercial of an F150 so people assume that they are talking about the F150 but in fact they are talking about the F150-F350's.

This was discussed on this board several months ago. The Explorer was losing ground to other SUVs that made the change over to car-based uni-body design. Ford change the explorer over to uni-body for 2011, and the ST wasn't carried forward. It would have basically been a Ridgeline. Explorer sales figures doubled from 2010 to 2011, and have since tripled the 2010 figure, but still less than half of the 2001 and 2002 heyday.

Are you sure those numbers aren't combined for all the F series trucks and not just the F150. Ford has a way of spinning the information. They say the F series is the best selling truck while they play the commercial of an F150 so people assume that they are talking about the F150 but in fact they are talking about the F150-F350's.

Honestly don't know if it includes the entire F series.

As a lot of you probably know Ford already has a truck that is very similar in size and styling to the 2nd gen ST. That truck is the T6 Ranger Wildtrak but so far Ford has refused to sell it or any other versions of the Ranger anywhere in North America. Their excuse has been that it is 90% the size of the F-150. We all know that means they are afraid it would pirate sales from their precious F-150. I guess "One Ford" only applies to cars. I am hoping that GM sells the crap out of their new mid-size trucks which might force Ford to re-think bringing the "world" Ranger here. The top engine in the Ranger is the same 5 cylinder in-line turbo diesel that is already being sold here in the new full size Transit van. As I have said before the new 2.7L Ecoboost V6 from the 2015 F-150 would make an awesome combination in the Wildtrak.

I was trying to recall and I can't remember Ford ever promoting the ST...either generation. And they wonder why sales are low???:angry:

Yup...Ford never promoted the Sport Trac from a marketing perspective. When I went to order my 2nd one...a 2008 Adrenalin...the sales rep had never heard of an Adrenalin model and had to look it up in the computer that is used to order from the factory. I ended up ordering it and had it in 3 weeks. When I went to pick it up there were a ton on service guys and sales people from the dealership surrounding the truck as it was the first Adrenalin (Gen 2) they had received and most had never seen one of any type Adrenalin. I still get comments from the service guys about how they love my truck. The service manager tells me the guys fight over who gets to work on it. (It helps that my truck is all tricked out with LED's, wide tires, and all kinds of mods thanks to Todd Z and lots of others here on this board. This board is just the greatest and I'll miss it if we all don't have an alternative vehicle when we all have 500,000 miles on these things!

Latest posts