Cracked elbow

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Kent

Reaction score
I was in Philly this weekend for my kids hockey tourament when my PCV elbow finally went.

Was idling and herad a burp from the K&N and then a rough idle began. Check engine light came on a few minutes later. Had to drive 300 miles home and put the truck in neutral every time I had to slow to an idle.

P0171, P0174, P0300, P0136, P1131, P1151 were the codes I got this morning. I already looked them all up and each one could be caused by a vacuum leak.

I immediatly looked at the elbow and it had partially collapsed and had a hole in it. Went to Ford and bought it, did not want to keep driving it with the really rough idle and stalling. I would have rather ordered one for 1/2 the price, but I wanted to do it ASAP.

Is it normal for the elbow to completely breakdown into a gooey mess? When I tried to pull it off the PVC valve, it broke in half and was all stickiy inside.

That's how my elbow on the PCV came off. I actually had to use pliers and a knife to get all the pieces of rubber off the PCV. Can't say that's normal, but you weren't alone in that.

Then I found goo and liquid in the rest of the elbow assembly (tube and the one that broke by the Throttle Body) which smelled like gasoline, so I ended up having a dead PCV and had to replace that guy anyhow.

Definitely good to have done ASAP, I had the ST stall out on me @ 45 mph when my elbow died.