Cracked Thermostat Housing?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

April H

Reaction score
Got to work this morning and the ST smelled hot. Then started seeing smoke/steam from under the hood. After inspection, the Coolant was empty. Refilled and drove over to the shop. I got a call just now and they said it was a cracked thermostat housing. They are fixing for me when the part comes in tomorrow, but I was curious what other symptoms there could have been with this. I've been having some issues with my ST not cranking good. Had a full tune up and it still doesn't always crank first try. This is a 2003 ST. Just curious if my cranking issues could be related to the cracked thermostat housing.....

Just curious if my cranking issues could be related to the cracked thermostat housing.....

Highly unlikely. However, the 4.0L V6 is notorious for having the t-stat housing fail.

The cranking problem is most likely the fuel pump. Try turn the key to on position 2 to 3 times. dont start it, those times.

Then on the 4th try start it. If it starts, the fuel pump is getting weak. Not holding pressure in the fuel lines.

When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? You should replace it every 30K to 40K miles. If you havent that could be the simple fix. Pluged fuel filter.

I'm pretty sure they did that when I had my tune up, but I will make sure and try what you mentioned when I get the ST back.

I had to fix mine about a month ago, it blew out right on my street and i lost my power steering because all of the anti freeze went all over the belt. Not exactly a fun job to replace it either, but not to much $$ which is nice.

i don't think that the cranking problem would be related to the housing though.

Latest posts