Crate Motors...?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trey Peck

Reaction score
Ok so having put about 10mins of thought into this idea, I'm thouroughly convinced that i would like to crate a V-8 into my 01 ST. Will any ford crate motor fit for the most part? How bout the tranny? I was interested in the for 302 that puts out 350hp and 380ft/lbs. but would it fit? Do they just make the motor to fit your application or do you have to find one that fits for yourself? Help please!

None of them are direct bolt in, you will have to change the tranny too. The drive shaft, fuel system and electrical too...

Tonka Trac did a chevy 350 swap, but he has no emissions laws and removed the computer junk...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sport didn't come with a V8 that I know of...

As long as emissions are of no worry, any 289/303/351W should fit, matched with a nice C4/C6/AOD.

Try looking for an Older Explorer XLT with the 5.0L or maybe a 5.0L Mountier engine would be your best bet like Todd said. Try going to a junk yard and see if they have any older 5.0L Mountiers or Explorers with Engines and Transmissions still in them. Also look on Ebay.com.

Sports did not come with V8s. Of course, with enough dinero and enough patience and skill, they can have them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Compare under the hood of my 2000 Explorer and my 2002 Trac and they are identical.

Get a 302 out of a 1998 to 2001 Explorer V8, and you should be able to swap them.

Tom

No. The 302 equipped Explorer had a different tranny. It also had an AWD transfercase verses the transfercase we have in our Trac's and the 4x4 Explorers had a Borg-Warner "Torque on Demand" transfer case. Essentially, it is an Automatic 4x4 system.

I highly doubt the 302 shares the same belhousing pattern as the 4.0L SOHC engine does.

An AWD V8 1st gen Trac would be very cool.

Tom