Cruise Control Button Lights ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eli Sidwell

Reaction score
On my '04 Sport I replaced all the lights on the dash with LED replacements, looks great again, almost all had burned.
The cruise control buttons on the steering wheel are not back-lit. Are they supposed to be ? -OR- Can they be ?
I didn't want to go ripping it apart w/o asking the community first.

Thanks

on my 04 with cruise it does light, on my other its light pain for not having one on road trips..

OK, so its supposed to light up. I was on a 5 hour drive the other night and it was a pain trying to find it in the dark.
I will look for how to replace the bulbs ?
Thanks

I replaced my steering wheel cruise control buttons on my 2004 back in June 2020. All the backlights work fine though they are a slight different color than the originals. So in answer there should be backlights.

On my '04 Sport I replaced all the lights on the dash with LED replacements, looks great again, almost all had burned.
The cruise control buttons on the steering wheel are not back-lit. Are they supposed to be ? -OR- Can they be ?

Thanks
Hey Eli - How much of a pain was it to change out the dash lights - I am looking to do that in my 2002 after I get back from our current trip because the lights are going out one by one - can't see the tach at all in the dark now so it is likely the speedo is next

where did you get the lights from? Do you see any issue with LED

Thanks

...dash lights ...in my 2002 ...going out ...where did you get the lights ...any issue with LED
InstrumentClusters for 1995~2003 Explorer+MazdaB+Mountaineer+Ranger+Sport+SportTrac...
are the PreHEC versions; more reliable & easy to swap.
InstrumentCluster for 2004~2012 Explorer+MazdaB+Mountaineer+Ranger+Sport+SportTrac...
are the HybridElectronicCluster; less reliable & "securely married" to the PCM, so difficult to swap.

For the BackLamps:
LitBulbs T10mmWedg*23mmLong 12volt 3\4watt Sylvania# 161\194
Sockets T10mmWedg*13mmCircuitHoleMt FordMotorCraft# c80z-13711-b

* Do Not Use Higher Wattage Bulbs, They Will Melt Plastic Sockets
* 6each In DashLeft InstrumentCluster
* 2each In DashCenter AirConSelectors

For the DutyLamps:
LitBulbs T5mmWedg*18mmLong 12volt 9\13watt Sylvania# 906\912
Sockets T5mmWedg*7mmCircuitHoleMt FordMotorCraft# f57z-13b765-ba

* Do Not Use Higher Wattage Bulbs, They Will Melt Plastic Sockets
* 16each In DashLeft InstrumentCluster
* 2each In DashCenter 4WD+RearWindowSelectors, Sockets Require Mod\Add

Using LightEmittingDiods\LEDs to replace original IncandescentBulbs is NOT recommended;
the LEDs will NOT properly operate in several circuits
& despite advertising, LEDs are NOT as durable or simple as Bulbs.

Some patience & items noted below are needed:
* SiliconeSprayLube, A Little Keeps SpeedoMeter+OdoMeter Working+Quiet
* ElectricalSprayCleaner\RubbingAlcohol
* CottonSwabs\700gSandPaper\EmeryCloth
* 7mmHexHead Socket+Driver\Ratchet
* ChannelLockPliers + NeedleNosePliers + JewelersMini FlatScrewDriver
* Volt+Ohm+Continuity MultiMeter

Links below for more info:
https://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/Electrical_DashLampshttps://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/Electrical_SteeringColumn
2001.Ford.ExST_Nter.Dash_Instrmnts_0001.GIF
2001.Ford.ExST_Nter.Dash_Instrmnts_0002.GIF
2001.Ford.ExST_Inte.Dash_Cent.Panl_0001.GIF

Thanks
I replaced my '05 steering wheel CC buttons last summer as they were torn, worn out, and not functional. First, the replacement set was very reasonable through Amazon - less than $20 from what I recall vs about $125 if I had ordered OEM controls at a parts store. Secondly, I watched a YouTube video on how to perform the work. I am only mildly mechanically inclined, but after the video, I was convinced it was not super difficult, and I was able to do the job successfully in less than an hour. Third, the CC did not work initially, so I then replaced the sensor on top of the master brake unit (fluid reservoir) and that solved the problem. Not sure if the lights are LED or not, but the CC system has worked ever since and it does light up at night when the vehicle headlights are on. Good luck replacing yours and let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

I replaced my steering wheel cruise control buttons on my 2004 back in June 2020. All the backlights work fine though they are a slight different color than the originals. So in answer there should be backlights.
Hello NorgeMan,
I'm an owner of a 2004 Trac. I have a question that perhaps you may be able to answer. The plastic that the cruise control buttons are housed in have cracked broken off to the point where you can see the lighting underneath the plastic housing. How difficult was to replace the cruise buttons on both sides of the steering wheel? Where were you able to purchase the buttons?

Thanks In Advance for your help.

Terry W. 2004 Competition Orange
[email protected]

Hello NorgeMan,
I'm an owner of a 2004 Trac. I have a question that perhaps you may be able to answer. The plastic that the cruise control buttons are housed in have cracked broken off to the point where you can see the lighting underneath the plastic housing. How difficult was to replace the cruise buttons on both sides of the steering wheel? Where were you able to purchase the buttons?

Thanks In Advance for your help.

Terry W. 2004 Competition Orange
[email protected]
Greetings Terry,
I replaced my cruise control buttons for the same reason you want to. I found mine on Amazon for 20.00$ There are videos on Youtube that I used as a guide and it was really easy. No special tools are needed and timewise it was under an hour to change it out. Just make sure to disconnect the negative cable from your battery before you touch the steering wheel to negate any possibility of the airbag blowing your head off. As well, after you finish and reconnect the negative cable, it was recommended when you start the vehicle up, don't sit behind the wheel when doing this as there is a possibility of the airbag going off. I did not do this part and the airbag did not go off. I hope this is of help to you!

I replaced my '05 steering wheel CC buttons last summer as they were torn, worn out, and not functional. First, the replacement set was very reasonable through Amazon - less than $20 from what I recall vs about $125 if I had ordered OEM controls at a parts store. Secondly, I watched a YouTube video on how to perform t
Greetings Terry,
I replaced my cruise control buttons for the same reason you want to. I found mine on Amazon for 20.00$ There are videos on Youtube that I used as a guide and it was really easy. No special tools are needed and timewise it was under an hour to change it out. Just make sure to disconnect the negative cable from your battery before you touch the steering wheel to negate any possibility of the airbag blowing your head off. As well, after you finish and reconnect the negative cable, it was recommended when you start the vehicle up, don't sit behind the wheel when doing this as there is a possibility of the airbag going off. I did not do this part and the airbag did not go off. I hope this is of help to you!
Good Morning NorgeMan,
Thank you so much for such a quick response to my question. I have found the buttons on Amazon and have ordered them. I have also watched videos on YouTube. You pointed me in all of the right directions and I very much appreciate all of your assistance. I hope you have a wonderful New Year.

Thanks,

Terry Wallace
he work. I am only mildly mechanically inclined, but after the video, I was convinced it was not super difficult, and I was able to do the job successfully in less than an hour. Third, the CC did not work initially, so I then replaced the sensor on top of the master brake unit (fluid reservoir) and that solved the problem. Not sure if the lights are LED or not, but the CC system has worked ever since and it does light up at night when the vehicle headlights are on. Good luck replacing yours and let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

Thank you so much for such a quick response to my question. I have found the buttons on Amazon and have ordered them. I have also watched videos on YouTube. You pointed me in all of the right directions and I very much appreciate all of your assistance. I hope you have a wonderful New Year.

Thanks,

Terry Wallace
No problem at all! That's what this website is all about. Helping Sport Trac enthusiasts with COD get the job done 😂You and yours have a blessed new year as well.

Latest posts