Cruise control hiccup

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
Yesterday, I tried to set the cruise ~60 MPH. After a second or two, I noticed that it hadn't engaged. I tried it again, no go. On the third try, I watched the SPEED CONT light. When I pressed SET/ACC, the S/C light would blink on for less than a second, then off. I did this 3 or 4 more times, same thing. Then I thought, maybe the brake switch was in the wrong state, so I lifted the brake pedal. The cruise then worked and has ever since. ????

Anyone else had this happen? Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Keep on trac'n! :cool:

I had this problem. Mine would work and then disingage. Finely it just stoped working all together. I took it in and it was fixed. Not exactly sure what it was but I think it had something to do with the brakes out on the booster.

Maybe the pressure switch on the master cylinder is getting weak. Slight amount of weight of the pedal, trips it...

I had a similar problem last highway trip with my '04. Hit the on, then set, and no dash light to say it was on, and it wasn't on. Tried several times, no-go. Then, an hour or so later I tried it again and it engaged right away.

Wasn't riding the brake at the time.

Eddie, I think you're on the right track, the switch is probably going bad.

I experienced something similar to this a long time ago. My cousin drove an '87 Maxima and every now and then the battery would go dead overnight. It would happen about once every couple of weeks or so. The problem was that the brake switch was improperly adjusted and occasionally when she get out of the car, her brake lights would remain on. Obviously this was causing the battery to drain overnight. All it took was a simple switch adjustment under the dash and everything was cool. Not sure if the ST still uses this type of switch mounted directly on the brake pedal, but you might check to see. The brake light switch is tied to the cruise control to disengage it when the brake is pressed.

I was thinking about the brake switch also. In fact, my ST has the red (flaming) switch that should be replaced anyway. Thanks folks! :D

i had the same problem on my 04 adrenlin. i took it to the dealer before the warrenty was up. and they had called me with this fine excuse: " Sir, the tires u have on this truck, arent stock specs and they r reason for ur cruise control not working properly " i told them that, not an inch difference in tire will throw off the cruise control and that it had been doin it before replacing the junk tires. They again addressed me to the fact that the tires werent oem spec and that the tires were throwing the speed sensor off, which also threw the cruise control off. then i told them i read about problems i heard on this site, and then 15mins later, they called back and the faulty brake switch thingy was the problem. fools dont kno what they doin.