Cruise control issue.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary DiPietroSr

Reaction score
Ok guys and gals. Just turned 40K on the ST and I have my first real issue. My cruise is not working at all. If I try to turn it on, the green indicator light does not come on and it will flash once very fast and not stay on. I just got home and haven't checked anything yet. Any ideas?

Gary D.

Just did this the other day. Go to projects section, search for cruise control. The title is something like "replace the red cruise control switch". Follow the instructions. Very easy and quick. Only thing is, my switch was not red, it was black and replacing it fixed the problem which was intermittent for me as well.

Yes, It almost always leads to the switch on the brake master... My 04 did this and i just blead it and it went away....

Todd Z

As with Todd, I had the same exact issue on or 2004 Freestar.. Sometimes it would set, most of the itme it just did a really quick momentary flash, and did not work. Problem was the switch on the Master Cylinder. Was the black one, but was still bad. Easy replace.

I tapped the switch with a screwdriver and now it works. Went out and bought a new switch anyway.

P.S. I went to Bob Thomas Ford in Hamden CT. Parts guy was a jerk. I told him I didn't have the red switch that had all the problems, and he said, "what do you mean, I'm giving you the part by the number you asked for." The guy saw me standing at the counter and he just kept talking to someone else who worked there. A bad first impression of the dealership.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once read here on the site that if you let your brake fluid get low an air bubble can form under the cruise control switch and then it wont work. I am going to try removing my switch, clean it if possible, fill the small space with brake fluid and reinstall. If that doesn't work then I will buy new.

Latest posts