cruise control problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Bone

Reaction score
the cruise control on my 01 hasn't worked since I bought the truck 8 years ago. I have read that it was a common problem with these trucks along with many others. Does anyone have the most likely causes of this and maybe how to fix it. Thanks for any advice you have.

Has the airbag ever deployed? Does the horn work? The wiring for the horn and cruise control go through the clockspring. If the airbag has deployed, it almost certainly destroyed the clockspring, which is under the airbag. If the horn doesn't work, that's a sign the clockspring is bad. You also need a good airbag, whether it's operational or not, for the horn to work. When I bought my '01 Sport Trac, neither the horn or cruise control worked. Previous owner had hit a deer causing the airbag to deploy. New clockspring fixed the cruise, and a junkyard airbag completed the fix for the horn. The clockspring MUST be for a Sport Trac or '01-03 Explorer Sport (or Ranger, I think) with cruise control. Trucks without cruise used a different clockspring, and the clockspring for 4 door Explorers and earlier Sports has a different connector for the wiring.

Last edited:
the cruise control on my 01 hasn't worked since I bought the truck 8 years ago. I have read that it was a common problem with these trucks along with many others. Does anyone have the most likely causes of this and maybe how to fix it. Thanks for any advice you have.
Check the master cylinder. There is a cruise control switch on the front of the master, it has been the subject of MANY recalls. Sometimes instead of bringing the vehicle in for a warranty repair people would simply unplug the switch. Check that first. If it is unplugged, that more than likely means it was NOT replaced with an updated part. Replace the switch and test drive the vehicle.

Has the airbag ever deployed? Does the horn work? The wiring for the horn and cruise control go through the clockspring. If the airbag has deployed, it almost certainly destroyed the clockspring, which is under the airbag. If the horn doesn't work, that's a sign the clockspring is bad. You also need a good airbag, whether it's operational or not, for the horn to work. When I bought my '01 Sport Trac, neither the horn or cruise control worked. Previous owner had hit a deer causing the airbag to deploy. New clockspring fixed the cruise, and a junkyard airbag completed the fix for the horn. The clockspring MUST be for a Sport Trac or '01-03 Explorer Sport (or Ranger, I think) with cruise control. Trucks without cruise used a different clockspring, and the clockspring for 4 door Explorers and earlier Sports has a different connector for the wiring.
As far as know it's never been wrecked, the horn works. Thanks for the input

Thanks for the info. That has been replaced so I'm not sure what else could be going on.

How long ago was it replaced? Ive put 2 in my 2004. When they fail - Cruz dies. Cheapest fix there is for them.

Sorry not being a know it all, but after all my research. Unless it damaged wires, that's all there is.
Unless..
Steering wheel buttons.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072LX6TCG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_ZVXYWE06RPRRV7HMHZPY
Hope that helps, this one I know very well. Goodluck!!
Check your brake release value. Under the hood near firewall. Often the problem.

Latest posts