Cruise Control

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoNiE

Reaction score
My '09 V8's cruise control seems to always want to be in the next lower gear when I am towing my travel trailer. I can keep at around 2600 RPM's @ 70-ish w/o the Cruse, but hit "Set" and it drops a cog to about 3000 RPM and stays there on flat freeway pavement. Maddening.

Anyone else see this?

yea I noticed that too. I rarely use CC because of it. Not sure why the ECU is programmed to drop to a lower gear whenever CC is engaged, but it is a little annoying.

The pcm senses the load on the engine and reacts to it faster than we do. When the cc is on the pcm is trying to maintain that speed as best as it knows how and being that shifting to a lower gear is better than applying 3/4 throttle it stays in the lower gear. When you are towing and not using the cc we react to speed changes slower than the pcm does so we may not force a downshift.

Another good point to mention is that when towing at higher speeds in higher gears the clutches inside of the transmission tend to slip more which leads to heat buildup and shortens clutch life. By having the transmission in a lower gear the clutches don't slip as much and the trans stays cooler.

On my Tundra I have tow/haul mode for the trans. When I put it in tow/haul mode the trans will usually stay in 4th gear and only hit 5th or 6th on very flat road when I am towing my toyhauler. If I don't engage tow/haul mode the truck will stay in 5th gear more, the trans will shift between gears more, the trans temp rises about 20 degrees and I get the EXACT same mpg as I did in tow/haul mode running in 4th gear and turning 500 more rpms.

It might be to keep the trans from overheating. If I am towing my enclosed car trailer I rarely use OD, especially in hilly terrain.

Latest posts