Custom sub enclosure location

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
In my gen1 Sport Trac, I have an 8" sub in a JDBox enclosure in the compartment behind the rear, driver side seat. It sounds great and all but rear passengers get an uncomfortable doze of vibration when I have music playing at moderate volumes. I am thinking of moving the sub under the rear seats, preferably under the 40-side. Here are my questions:

1) Is there an 8" sub enclosure that will fit under the rear 40-side seat?

2) Is there an 8" sub enclosure that will fit under the rear 60-side seat?

3) Does placing the sub under the seat reduce vibration for the rear passengers, compared to having it behind the seatbacks?

4) How well does the 60-side seat fold with an enclsure under it? Enough to access the wheeljack and accessories?

5) I'd especially like to hear feedback from gen1 04/05 Adrenalin owners which have the OEM sub under the seat.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an under seat box for my '01.. Got it off ebay for like 50 bux (it's built by probox).. I'm sure if you contacted Paul at Zabtech he could work out something for ya (not sure if he does an under seat style, but he does do custom enclosures).... And FYI... my passengers still get pounded when the volumes up..especially if they are sitting in the back..Thats pretty much what the sub is supposed to do..Doubt moving it 2 feet will affect the vibration much..

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

If you decide to sell your factory enclosure and sub I would be interested.

And, if you look on Ebay there are all sorts of the under the seat type.

-Kirk

I've still got my OEM Ford sub and enclosure... email me if interested. BTW, it's just the sub and enclosure (6").. no factory amp, no harness..but if ya want it lemme know..

hey griff, who was the seller that you bought the box from? was it the seller who also sells them already loaded with subs? overall how do you like the box? i have been thinking about getting a box for awhile now but i was a little worried about the quality. ohh and that box is for a 10'' sub right!?!

RYAN - Yea it's for a 10", I LOVE it. I cut about a half inch off one corner to get it as flush as possible. Sorry, but I don't remember the sellers name. I searched PROBOX and sport trac.. Hope this helps..there are more pics in the library.

Trac_511:

1. I'm pretty sure my 8" box with fit under the 40 seat.

2. If it fits under the 40 it will fit under the 60

3. It might help some, but I don't think it's going to make a huge difference.

4. It won't fold flat but it should be enough to get to the tools.

That is why I hooked my amps remote wire to my rear windows power wire. When the kids are back there and want to listen to thier music, I hit the windows power button on the drivers door and it turns off the sub. (actually subs, I have 2 back there);)

Yes the sub you have will fit under the seat.

Now your passengers will feel it in the butt instead of the back.

Also if you do put a sub under EITHER seat you will not be able to fold them down.

Paul H

I still haven't gotten around the time to do my little crafty install of four 10" subs. But, it will be sometime when it warms up. I have an 04 Adrenalin. Will be using the factory sub enclosure under the 40 seat, will be using a Pro-box enclosure under the 60 seat, and will be using the dual 10" sub enclosure by JDBoxes behind the seat.

I know I'm going to be running all Alpine Type-S, only for fact of mounting depth, and I believe with my amp, that it should be able to power all four subs easy, if I run each channel parallel. (but I'll figure that out later) The amp is a Precision Power PCX2400, that is rated (without looking at box) 2x400 at 4ohms, 2x800 at 2ohms, or 1x1600 at 2ohms. The subs are rated at 300-900RMS. So yeah.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Current setup is with the Adrenalin Box and Amp powering a Rockford 8" Its pretty good. But it was just something I jerry-rigged b/c it sounded better than the Factory 10". With the factory box under the seat on the 40 side, it doesn't fold enough to gain good access, only b/c the box is bolted to the seat. (sorry for so long)

Griff', Capt' Kirk, JDBox, Stone', PaulH, thanks for your replies!

BeerDelivery, let me get this straight, you managed to put an aftermarket 8" sub into the OEM Adrenalin underseat enclosure?

Thanks again, everyone.

Trac_511. yes, I only jerry-rigged it to get better bass for the time being I had done it. Just to try it out. I had a old dusty Rockford 8" sub in my closet and I put it in. It actually gave better bass. I don't know the RMS for the sub, but the OEM 10" sub said 50watt+50watt on the back of it. It sounded better for the time being. But its coming out.

BTW, those are Griff's pics above, desertfox. But I have completely upgraded my 04 Audiophile sound system with an aftermarket one. Mostly comprising of Alpine stuff and a headunit from an 04/05 Adrenalin I bought from a member here (my Audiophile HU didn't have MP3 capability). My aftermarket setup was a BIG step up from the 04 Audiophile kit. So definitely go for the upgrade if you're not happy with stock.

A couple more questions Beer'...

How is the Adrenalin enclosure mounted under the seats? Is it bolted. Does it slide forward slightly when the seat is folded (obviously it can't fold down completely). As for the enclosure's amp, is it integrated into the enclosure? Finally, how did you get the 8" RF to fit in the OEM 10"? Adapter?

Thanks!

How is the Adrenalin enclosure mounted under the seats? Is it bolted. Does it slide forward slightly when the seat is folded (obviously it can't fold down completely). As for the enclosure's amp, is it integrated into the enclosure? Finally, how did you get the 8" RF to fit in the OEM 10"? Adapter?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The enclosure is mounted under the seat and it is bolted to the seat. The box is plastic. It doesn't move at all and the seat really can't fold but more than a couple inches. The Amp, is mounted to the rear wall behind the door. As bad as this may seem and stuff, the holes of the Rockford, all but one actually lined up with that of the 10" OEM. I used the OEM bolts to bolt it in. So not much of a jerry-rig, but it works for the time being. After doing my upgrades, I'll get getting rid of my Head Unit, all door speakers and the factory Amp.

Latest posts