damaged tailgate 2002 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim OLeary

Reaction score
I backed into a bollard with the tailgate open. It hit all the way at the left end and dodn't leave a mark, but the tailgate rubs when I close it.

I forgot how to paste images, but it is the pivot/bracket which bent.

What is best approach to resolving? find one in a salvage or bend it back?

If you are handy, attempt to straighten yourself. If it works, it's a free fix. If it doesn't, you haven't lost anything and you can get a salvaged one. my 2 cents....

I suppose I'd have to remove it in order to get a pry bar or whatever in there.

It appears the cables need to be removed and there are large screws on each end that migh require a pneumatic tool to break loose.

Initially I was thinking prying with a long 2X4 in the space between the tailgate and truck bed when it is open.

Thanks

The tail gate requires no tools to take it off the truck there, there are some spring steel clips of sort on the end of the cables just pry up with your finger and slid them off then the right side of the tail gate lifts off when the gate is about half way up and its off..:banana:

If all else fails ... :grin:

TAILGATE REMOVAL (Page 55)

Last edited by a moderator:
That was so easy, but I never noticed. I got the tail gate off then had to fight to get it back on due to the damage to both halves of the pivot.

I used a little oil, but no hammer. The tailgate operates but I know it needs to be repaired.

The manual is very helpful.

Thanks

I had another adventure over the weekend but is not tailgate related and I will start a new discussion

Thanks2all

Thanks, that's an awesome guide.

That "guide" is the owners manual that came with your vehicle when new. Most owners or operating manuals can usually be found for almost EVERYTHING if you search the brand and model/number followed by "manual". Check the link in your other post for used prices on tailgates. Good luck!

Latest posts