Damn Snow

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Colvin

Reaction score
We had our first big snow of the year. My trac and I were enjoying it until I pulled out of a snow covered parking lot onto a clear street while in 4 High. Heard 2 loud thumps which I hoped was just the driveline binding because I was on a dry surface but I now have a metalic rattle coming from the front end at about 20kms an hour. The dash lights show I can shift from 2 high 4 high and 4 low but no change in noise and I definitely am not in 4 wheel drive. Just looking for some direction as to what I might look at this afternoon when I get home so maybe I don't have to take the bus on Monday.

Sounds like front u-joints. You have to replace the entire front driveshaft though. Can't just do the u-joints. Aftermarket is MUCH cheaper than Ford one. I had one replaced last year for $180 by my local mechanic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch, that sucks.

I envy you and your snow though, Fall hasn't hit the mid atlantic yet (had a day in the 80s this week) and while you're getting snow we're still in the Danger Zone for a pending hurricane... :banghead:

Snow and icy roads here for two weeks. Had to park the Adrenalin as I have summers on and no winters yet, that combo was scary the first slippery ride to town. Ordered the Nokian WRG2s today and should be here on new rims by next Tuesday, until then we use the 2001 with last years X-Ice on. These trucks are unstoppable with a good winter tire and four wheel drive.

Latest posts