Dash Rattle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a '01 Sport Trac I bought new. A rattle started somewhere behind the instrument cluster within 2 years of ownership. This rattle has grown louder over the years...110k on vehicle and is to the point of being very annoying now. Rattle only occurs if the car is in gear and rolling down the road; the colder the car is the louder the rattle. If parked and engine reved no rattle. Any suggestions on how to get behind the instrument cluster and or known sources of such rattle would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Those kind of rattles can be tough to find. So much cramed back there now. I have torn down dashes and braced cushioned and bushinged things and still didnt find them..:(

Hey welcome to the site new Brant!!:D

I never thought I would meet someone else with the same name!!:banana:

One of us is going to have to change his posting name though, any thoughts?

Brant (The first one):cool:

WELCOME BRANT !!

I found something similar in my 03... What it actually was a noise from UNDER the hood... I has a hose that was rubbing the firewall in that area and was causing a noise... You could see where it had worn off the paint from rubbing..

Todd Z

I would also suggest getting behind the instrument cluster (per the project) and looking for any stray wiring that might be rattling on steel or plastic. Wrapping the wiring in foam may help.

Thanks all for the suggestions...I have a good idea what I will be doing this weekend. Hey Brant I like your name. Is it your first or last. I have only seen Brant as a last name. I will go with my complete first name...Branton as my alias.

Thanks!