Dead Motorcraft Battery in 3 years and 3 months?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
Heading to work this morning and went to unlock the truck. Battery was completely dead, I mean gone. I was getting 4 volts cold. My load tester wouldn't even test is was to low. The day before was prefectly normal, started fine and all the battery functions were good. I have noticed only 2 things for about a year, the clock on the radio would properly hold time and sometimes when starting I would turn the ignition and the doors would lock and the starter would click to fire but a second turn, the trac would fire right up.

I only paid 40 dollars for the battery since it was prorated warranty. But still I got 5 years plus out of the original battery and still 10 years out of a Ford Focus battery.

Haven't had a chance to specificly test the charging system yet, but what are the chances the alternator is going south? I have 77,000 miles on my 03.

You should test the alternator, most auto parts places (Autozone Etc.) will do it for free if you don't have a volt meter. It sounds like it could be the alternator.

Check all the grounds, alternator wires and fuses. Also like Tommy said, take it to Advanced Auto or AutoZone to have the complete charging system for free.

Had the alternator and charging system tested. Charging is at 14.4 volts and the alternator tested to be good. Diaods are fine. I'm guessing it was a bad battery.

Mine went out after just within a year. Fortunately the dealer I bought it from gave me a free replacement. I had chosen to stick with Motorcraft since the original had lasted about 5 years.

Latest posts