Deterioration of Body Mounts

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POJ Irving

Reaction score
My Fellow Sporttrac owners, Gen 1, 01 - 05, if you have not seen Scott's posting on the above topic dated 01/31/11 please see updated post. This may or may not affect your wallet size.

Thanks for the link Eddie

Last edited by a moderator:
The link does not provide the info we need. We all came to the conclusion that Ford will not pay since all of our Gen1's are out of warranty. That being said, has anybody had their's replaced and if so how much was it. Also, has anybody researched how much the part itself costs since many of us are DIYers. Thanks! Lets not waste our time ranting and get our beloved ST's fixed!

Yeah, I have one mount falling apart, it's missing a chunk! I have been researching it and it looks like the mounts are +/- $20 each for the upper and the lower mounts. There are 4 sets of upper and lower on each side....

It is labor intensive. The are a few links on the other post.

I'm planning on doing at least two (the two by the front doors) depending on what kind of prices I can get.

Is it time for a group buy?

CopSt... sorry your connection to the link from EddieS'04 does not work, anyway I did not get individual pricing for the mounts. Total cost of all 16 mounts is $534.86 from my local Ford dealer. As far as I know once you find more than one crumbling, the others are on the way out. I did not inquire about labor cost. Maybe someone else can extract the diagram from the link with the part numbers for you. Good luck with yours as I plan on doing mine myself.

I brought this subject up a few months ago but didn't get much response. Apparently this problem is beginning to multiply....I had a Ford dealership replace mine....but not all of them.....as not all are same construction and do not need replaced ..3 different dealerships and 3 different quotes...beware of the ones that say all 16 are required as they are not all falling apart like the ones under the floorboards.....you do however need to lift the entire body off of frame to get the bad ones out..and loosen even the ones that do not need replaced in order to not stress the body itself when lifting........and the bolt heads are only accessible from the top...meaning that kick panels, seats, and 2 behind rear seats including rubber flooring needs to come out....DIY is risky because you can actually bend the body itself if you don't lift it evenly....plus the bolts are threaded into that crappy bushing and unscrewing is a problem....mine had to be cut off.......total cost for me was $719. It rides like new....the shop mgr said a couple of the replacements were a little different but they look the same to me....unbelievable to me that this is Ford tough...I considered this a saftey issue even though the dealerships didn't think so since the bolt is still attaching the body to frame...my concern was the body shifting on the frame on hard turns etc.....I think you guys will put pressure on them to repay us for our troubles as this site carries some weight with Ford Motor Company....good luck.

it's money I shouldn't have had to spend.......you'll be crying when you try to do it yourself . Colon is a good name for you.:toilet::toilet::toilet:

trakster, did you go with stock rubber Ford replacements? How many did you have replaced for that price? I though it'd be a lot more then that at first. I'm going to get a quote because I agree with your logic!!! Thanks for sharing.

FORD has been making truck forever. How they can screw up like this and wash their hands of it makes you wonder!

I found this interesting piece on a ford-trucks.com page.

"Ford engineers also worked to reduce unwanted road and engine vibration from reaching occupants. This was achieved by using urethane body mounts - another Ford first on an SUV - rather than the typical solid rubber ones. "

it's money I shouldn't have had to spend.......you'll be crying when you try to do it yourself . Colon is a good name for you.

What's with the attitude? I agree with you...$719 IS a lot of money!

Next time think before you type.

BTW it's a Spanish name and it is supposed to have an accent over the last o.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, SFCEd, I detected what seemed like sarcasm in your response...add in the crying icon and maybe I did misread your comment......if that is in fact the case, then I apologize, I have seen too many times on this board comments like yours that were childish and unnecessary. I think we have a good argument against Ford on this one. I have owned many cars in my life and have never seen body mounts rot out like this....motor mounts, yes....but not body mounts, especially on a freakin truck.......................JohnJR....I went with original Ford replacements....not sure if they are exact duplicates...the shop mgr. noticed a difference...but they are still the yellow sponges as far as I am concerned and there is no official acknowledgment of any upgraded replacements...I only had the 4 yellow sponges replaced for that price...but some dealers will tell you that you need to replace them all....I am proof that its not true....sad that Ford dealers want to make money on this deal...I had quotes over $1300....by the way...my dealer said he had never seen this before...other dealers said they heard of a few cases....I think they are well aware of it and trying to cover it up....Mr. Colon, again, my sincere apology for my misunderstanding your post....as I am totally pissed about this and a few other issues, although minor, that plague each and every one of these trucks in 5 model years....why they continue to build known problems into their vehicles boggles the mind...like the tranny flare which I had...the leaking third brake light, peeling paint on the roof which I have yet to get fixed, the power window issues, the goodyear tire wear issue, ball joints, fading rear bumper cover, etc. etc..all of which happened within the first few years....my truck is never off road, its an 03 with only 65000 highway miles..never towed a thing.. all of us had these same problems yet Ford did nothing to address them during production..5 model years is plenty of time to address these minor build quality issues.....in fact the newer Gen V8 six speed tranny had even more problems.....where is this quality I so much want to believe in.....lord knows I don't want a toyota or that ugly honda for my next truck, and I don't need or want an F150..actually looking at the Nissan....come on Ford....quit acting like toyota and fess up.

No problem....The crying icon was me. I can't believe how expensive those are and I'm dreading having to work on this.

My guess is that Ford is calling this "fair wear and tear".

If someone like Torry could organize a large order, maybe we could get a better price? Then either pay for labor or DIY...

Glad you guys made up! I reacted the same way trakster did FYI!!

On the dealer, if they replace only some of the mounts while they have everything apart, and then there's a later problem they look bad. They're stuck in the middle of dealing with a company issue that FORD looks the other way on. For all the bad PR, you would think FORD would get the message.

Ford must be using something that is diffrent for the Trac. The formula for the mounts cushion effect.

We all have seen trucks of many brands, that the mounts were still good. All the way to the salvage yard 20yrs latter.

Okay everyone, I have a Tough Love message from FORD on this subject. This was the response to my email about the Body Mount . I guess what they are saying is we need to contact NHTSA, if we need to get something done by FORD. I've started searching for my pennies.

"Hello Patrick,

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. My name is Julie and I'm with Ford's Customer Service Department. It's my pleasure to address the possible recall on 2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac due to crumbling of body mounts.

I would like to inform you that in light of some known concerns, we stand behind our products by issuance of recalls and Customer Satisfaction Programs (CSPs).

Many factors are used to determine these such as warranty status, vehicle history, customer contacts, Dealership comments and so forth. Also, Ford and the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) work together to proactively identify areas of concern through investigation of consumer and Dealer feedback. Due to our rigorous safety standards and constant testing, not all issues result in recalls. Please keep in mind that the NHTSA, which is the federal agency responsible for motor vehicle safety, and is the only organization with the authority to order a recall. If a program is announced on this particular issue, Ford will notify you by mail.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to address this matter.

Sincerely,

Julie

Customer Relationship Center

Ford Motor Company

the only organization with the authority to order a recall.

Although true, nothing prevents Ford from deciding that a problem should be fixed by them. This is an example of misleading the consumer.:fire:

I doubt I would have a dog in this fight anyway because of the body lift. Mine weren't really bad when I did the lift so I decided to make that an issue for another day. I just keep watching them, knowing that someday, probably sooner rather than later, I'm going to have to go through all of that again.:angry:

Has anyone filed a complaint with the NHTSA about this? There is an online form to fill out that I can only assume if enough people complained they would at least look at the problem and the potential safety hazard it poses. Also one of the current recalls (the one about the v8's ejecting spark plugs) in the first sentence it states that ODI received a petition asking them to investigate....would that be possible in this situation to somehow form a petition requesting an investigation into the matter? I also have this issue with my 01', at first i thought it was the shocks....replaced those and then the next time i was changing the oil i was under there admiring my shiny new shocks and was rocking the truck by pushing on the side steps and noticed that the noise i initially heard was still there....then i started looking and seen the body mounts all cracked up and falling apart! After a brief search on these boards I see this is a problem...and also that there are pretty much no alternatives of fixing it other than going with stock ford parts that will do the same thing again......unless one of you has had luck on the interwebs.....i have found nowhere that has them!

Latest posts