Diameter of upper radiator hose

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Weicht

Reaction score
Installing a Water Temp. gauge and i need to know the inside diameter of the upper radiator hose for an attachment. anyone know what it is or somewhere i could go to find out exactly how much the diameter is?

I believe i used the 1.25 adapter, but the hose is closer to 1.50

Also remember in the upper radiator hose is NOT the best spot due to the Gauge will not read until the t-stat opens and starts regulating the temp......

The engine is the best spot, I was going to install a special bypass or go in the heater line, but the heater line ONLY flows when the heat is on and the bypass i have not put that much thought into routing the pipe..

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Taylor,

I used a special adapter block for the cooling line....

Again not the best spot, but I had 1 in the pan for a while and remove it since i installed a new pan....

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Just get a Scangauge 2 and be done with it. I've not set mine up to read tranny temps, but I believe a few other members have. You'll have a lot more info than those 2 gauges will give, plus a code reader, MPG calculator, etc...

alright. and when you had the sender in the trans. pan, did you have to drill a new hole and put in an attachment? or is there a spot you can use without drilling? i looked at it and didnt see anything that i could use as is.

well i have an Xcal for the codes and i really dont want a scan gauge. cant afford it right now and i already bought the gauges like 6 months ago. just havent installed them yet.

Todd and I have aftermarket PML pans, is a thick boss to drill and tap for the sender.

don't think the OEM pan will work for you.

If you consider the cost of all your parts for these gauges, and the cost of your labor/time for installation, you're probably right around the $130 or so for the ScanGage II. It's a five minute install (plug into the OBD II port, then find a place to mount it w/velcro). It provides a ton of real-time info while you're driving, including engine/tranny temps, and much more.

The ScanGauge II is definitely the better way to go, unless you really want another gauge as a backup, the SG will cover your needs.

Shoot, you get multiple odometers, time and miles until you're out of gas, all sorts of gas mileage stats, or if that doesn't interest you, you get over 30 stats you can read out, some of which you'd have a hard time putting a gauge on. (Throttle position, air intake temperature, etc)

Also, the ScanGauge II beats the XCal for code reading hands-down, since the ScanGauge will always be in your ride and connected, so you can check and clear (or store) codes while driving.

When my CEL magically came on 2 years ago, I was able to check at the stop light for the code, and recognize them as the evil elbow codes...and so I was able to do a ghetto repair, and then a few months later suck it up and buy the Ford replacement part

Also, you can set the Gauge to all kinds a purty colors to boot. :banana:

thing is i dont want to waste the 2 gauges i got. and its too late to send it back for a return. i dont want to waste $100. if i could get my money back on them some how then yeah i would get the Scangauge...

Taylor,

Do and install what you want, IT is your truck and your the one that has to be happy...

As for the OEM pan, you need to take the pan down, and have a "bung" welded to the pan....

Or you have to get an adapter for the trans cooling line...

A tranny shop that does welding or brazing can do the work but it may be costly $100-$200 for a shop to do it..

Todd Z

When i had my tranny redone. I asked them to put a line in for me also on the tranny so i can see the temperature also. they showed me a spot on th Tranny where a bolt fit and just attached a wire connector to it and ran a wire to the firewall. Then i just hooked the rest up myself. (electronics i can do, trannys let the pro's do it.)

rob

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts