Did I screw up?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnie Tutt

Reaction score
I just bought an '01 ST 4x4 with 67,000 miles. I had to take it back to the dealer after 3 days because the O/D light started blinking. They fixed the issue I guess, seems to be working fine so far. Now 4 days later my check engine light came on. What gives? Is this vehicle a piece of $hit or what? I really like mt ST, but am I looking at a money pit? I am taking it back to dealer tomorrow to have them check it out. Any owners that can give me an honest opinion about this truck would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tutt

I have an 01 and never had any issues with it. The problem with used vehicles is that you are at the mercy of the previous owner. No telling how they treated the ST. Hopefully the dealership can get your issues resolved and you can start enjoying the ST.

Jerry

Common problems, usually easily repairable & relatively inexpensive....

Blinking OD light--most commonly speed sensor in rear end (about $20). A number of members have had real trans issues, but their complaints were usually true driveability problems. If it seems to be OK, let it go at that (you may want to have the tranny serviced/flushed, just to eliminate old/dirty/deteriorating fluid as a potential problem; wouldn't cause the blinking OD light, but probably worth the peace of mind).

Check engine light--DPFE sensor or cracked vacuum elbow. Do a search on this site, you'll find plenty of discussion/direction on these.

As with any "new" used car, you may find things that the previous owner didn't fix or take care of. But as long as either you or someone you can trust have checked the vehicle over...

ENJOY!!!!!

Find out the code,of your engine light and post the code number. No one, no even Ford, knows more than us here at this site.

Trust me on that. Ford comes here to find fixes to issues.

Also, do you have a Job 1 or a Job 2? If you don't know, look at the build date on the door and post the date. We will tell you what you have..

I had a blinking OD light about a year ago, I pulled over into the nearest coin car wash, pulled off the negative terminal and washed my truck for about 20 minutes, reconnected the terminal and it has gone away, and my little tranny flare has been minimal since then as the computer must have recalibrated its tranny shift points... still dounting down to the Xcal2 purchase though... 17 days and counting ( waiting for my paycheck)...

Dallas

Replace the DPFE sensor!!!!!!!

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Todd is correct. But please remember, the CODE is what we are after. With it, we can steer you in the best direction.

In this case, it is cut and dry. Many members have had to replace the DPFE...

Latest posts