Did not want to start

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had an issue... It's only happened once, but I've not forgotten about it. A few days after I picked up the ST, I had to back it out of the driveway so I could get the other truck out of the garage. Temperature is around 20 degrees. Started it, immediatly shifted to reverse, backed up, pulled forward, park, shut off. All within about 10 seconds.

Did my thing...

About 90 seconds later I got back in to start it, hit the key and let go at the time it usually started. It didn't start, so I hit the key again. This time when it started it stumbled to where I thought it shut back off, but the RPM's were still moving, so I gave it gas and it came to life. I've never had a vehicle do this. I was thinking maybe it flooded due to being cold, and not running for more than 15 seconds before being shut off, but shouldn't a vehicle this new not be subject to flooding like that?

It's not done it again, but I've not done the same scenerio over? Should I be worried?

I've only had it a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it is learning your driving habbits....

We call this the ST gremlin.... Happens from time to time... Just shut it off and re start and it goes away.... DO NOT drive it like that..

Todd Z

Nope.... Common I am afraid...

Todd Z

shouldn't a vehicle this new not be subject to flooding like that?

I wouldn't call a '02 that is 6 yrs. old with 65k miles on it this new. As I said in a previous post: You need to make sure it was properly maintained, and it will run much better for you. Here it is again.

Do the following (see Projects/Maintenance):

Put in a new air filter (if it does not have a Cold Air Intake already),

clean the IAC motor,

clean the throttle body,

run a bottle to fuel injector cleaner through a full tank of gas,

do the Seafoam cleaning project,

change the gas filter,

change the spark plugs (OEM) too, and make sure they are gaped properly.

Take it to a local auto parts store to have the battery checked, which they should do for free.

If all that does not fix the problem, then it might be the ignition switch in the steering column.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would expect this from a carbourated engine, not a 6 year old fuel injected engine.

It runs fine, I've checked the air filter. I have not had time to clean the IAC or Intake. I work 2 jobs so I have VERY limited time to do anything.

Just curious as to if it's common, and it sounds like I am not the only one this happened too.

1 time or 2 times may be normal...

IF this happens on a regular basis, something is wrong...

Todd Z

If you live near Cleveland, OH shoot Cayman an email. He's very helpful.

Even with a 6 y/o fuel injected engine you need to do regular maintenance over and above what the maintenance schedule says. I am not looking at the milage not the age. After re-reading your post you might take a look at the tranny, and see if any of the plugs might have come loose, etc. Do you have maintenance records from the previous owner? If not you have no idea of any previous issues on the ST.

I had the same issue happen recently, I thought it was from the OEM battery being weak with the cold weather. I replaced the battery, but the truck took two starts to run when it was cold. I cleaned the IAC and intake / throttle body, it starts much better. I have done the IAC cleaning several times, itc crucial in my book. I have a MAK "cold-air" intake. A unintended result is that I can hear the intake better. I have noticed when the intake is clean and I can hear a whistle on light throttle when the engine is cold. I ldo not mind the sound and it goes away after the engine warms. This sound is not present when the intake is dirty. I am going to pay attention to that for a signal to clean the intake.

I have replaced the fuel filter twice, I have 101K. The "2-tries" starting problem for me started when the weather stayed cold in Maryland. It could be the cold air intake, but I ahev had the setup for a couple of years. My wife's subaru took a long time to start after I moved it across the parking lot. My father-in-law has been a Subaru tech for 25+ years; he said it was normal since shiort cold starts are fuel-rich situations. Probably the engine gets flooded on short runs and cold starts