didnt think it would make that much of a difference

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas Starr

Reaction score
Wow, so I had some downtime last night and being the person I am I couldnt just sit around. I finally got around to installing much needed Plug wires (The JBA performance set from EE) and Iridium Spark Plugs. WOW... my throttle repsonse is where i think it should be now, i didnt realize it was so bad until now, its that much of a noticeable difference. I was at about 110,000 kms on the previous plug and wire set I had but I didnt think that much of it. I only wish I did this months ago(when they first showed up).

I highly recommend this combo, I have already done some substantial amount of driving since replacing these and I seem to notice a gas mileage gain as well. I will have to wait until my first full tank (probably today or tomorrow) to see if there actually is a difference.

I was under the impression that all the plugs + wires did was smooth out your idle. Might make this one of my later mods.

Woppy,

It can make a difference depending how bad your old stuff was...

Todd Z

Big D,

how difficult did you find it to remove the "elusive" 6th plug? The one everyone states is a pain-

it was a pain... i could get one "click" out of my wrench because of the limited space. It wasnt impossible or anything, just diffcult in comparison to the others. Tedious but doable.

Hrmmm!

I think my ST sucks ass for power... really. Im really let down by the lack of power even with the XCal, Intake, etc...

I wonder if this would help out...

Im sure im at 140,000km on original plugs and wires.

Power? "you shoulda had a V8"

Changed plugs and wires (8.8mm) on my 5.6 L boat engine a few weeks ago. Old plugs looked great, clean. MAJOR DIFFERENCE in performance, +250 rpm at idle, greater hole shot, vast improvement.

Ken I have a 1979 boat with a Chevy 350. No power at all. All the so called boat experts told me that my boat is big and heavy (24' 5000lbs) and it is simply nature of the beast. Well one day out of boredom I changed cap, rotor, points and plugs. Let me tell you I am driving a brand new boat now. At least 600rpm gain and smooth as silk. I did not change the wires, I wonder if I should? 4 of my 8 spark plugs broke in half trying to get them out. Let me tell you I was panicking. Luckily with a little nudging of my ratchet I got them all to break loose. I made sure to coat the new plugs with anti-seize in case I ever need to change them again. If I new how to rebuild a carb I bet this boat would feel like it just came out of the factory. LOL So should I change the wires or not? How do I tell if I have week spark because of a wire problem? Everything seems to be running fine but it ran fine before the tune-up. I just didn't know how much better it could run.

Wes;

Mine is a 98, 350 Indmar Gen 1, carburated (Holley). About every year or so I change the power valve in the Holley. I've changed the plugs, rotor, cap a few times since 98'. Make sure you use marine stainless steel plugs - NAPA around here stocks some of them. Anyway, this year the power valve checked good, but I still changed it, motor ran like crap. So I changed the cap & rotor (Accel brass conductors), which helped, but still idled poor. So I changed the plugs, which looked in excellent shape. Maybe some improvement. So I re-adjusted the primarys (Holley), had to go way rich, then adjusted the idle speed. After a few weeks, I still wasn't satisified. Auto Zone has the free $20 deal when you buy so much, which I had, so I figured what the heck, I might as well change the wires, since I had never done that/ Bought univerasl Accel 8.8mm, stainless steel ends, made them up, and changed them out. The rest is history, hasn't run this good in a long time. Had to go back and re-adjust the primarys, lean, and lower the idle. Never would ahve thought.... It was well worth it to me. HP is back! BTW, I'm in fresh water only, so corrosion isn't bad.

I guess my problem started during the ordering process, I caved in for the Indmar chevy. Should have held out for a FORD.