Difference between job 1 and job 2 for 2001

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Perkins

Reaction score

I am looking at adding another ST....

I found a 2001 fully loaded, but what is the difference between a job 1 and job 2?

Which is better?

Thanks

Job 1 was manufactured before a certain date that I cannot remember off the top of my head. RichardL said it best in this post that is linked to below:

"The othe main differences between the Job1 and Job2 besides moving the oil filler from the drivers side to the passenger side of the engine are:

Job1's had aluminum valve/cam covers while the Job2's use black plastic valve covers.

Job1's had a large black plastic cover over the entire intake manifold (also plastic), while the Job2's have an exposed intake and the plastic cover only covers the throttlebody unit on the front of the intake manifold.

Job2 also has some changes to the standard equipment and options as well as several color changes. Most notably, the 15" steel wheels were upgraded to 16" cast aluminum wheels as standard equipment and Mandarin Gold was discontinued.

...Rich"

I believe the cutover date was June 2001. So, one advantage Job 2's have over Job 1's is, they're newer. :)

edit: My bad. I keep forgetting the 2001 Sport Trac came out in 2000. Thanks Tiger.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cut-off date was June 2000...June 26 is normally quoted as the "official" date, as this was the last known date for the Job 1s to have been made.

Options wise, these are the differences:

Exterior:

Silver Frost (TS) added as an exterior color

Front license plate bracket standard (where required)

Transfer case skid plates standard on 4x4

16" Cast aluminum wheels made standard

P235/70R16 All-Season OWL tires standard

Mandarin Gold (B6) deleted as an exterior color

16" All-Terrain standard tires deleted

15" wheels deleted as standard

Interior:

Dual Media (CD/cassette) replaces single CD as standard Audio System

Some exterior colors limited to a single interior color

Functional:

5-speed manual transmission standard

4.0L SOHC V-6 flex fuel capable with automatic transmission

3200# payload package made standard

3.73 Axle standard

Options:

6-Disc In-Dash CD available with Pioneer Sound System (6-speakers and a subwoofer)

Automatic transmission required for Comfort Group, Premium Sport Group, Leather Comfort Group, Power Moonroof and 6-Disc In-Dash CD Sound System

Engine block heater standard in Twin Cities Region

High-Series floor console now standard with Cloth Comfort Group

Payload Package deleted

Misc:

Odometer features black numerals on a white background, replaces white numbers on black background

Oil fill moved to passenger side of the engine

Misaligned fuel filler door hinge fixed

Throttle Body/Intake beauty cover reduced in size

Cam covers now made of plastic composite, replaces aluminum valve covers

About this time Ford also introduced three trim levels to the ST, Value, Choice, and Premium. At this time options were not limited to certian trim levels, a trim level was a simple way for a dealer to order ST's with preconfigured options.

Which is better? I personally love Job 1's and feel they are the best ST's made. Most Job 1 owners have had less problems then others, and thier unique options, colors, and combinations made nearly every one unique onto its own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pack mine with over 1,000 lbs of gas cylinders and tie wire every week. Drives like a champ and looks like it's empty. Thanks rare payload package, lol.

John, yes, according to Ford literature. The 3200# is the maximum load ammount, it doesn't take much to squat a vehicle, but squatting can happen with as little as 50lbs in the back and isn't an indication that the vehicle cannot take the weight.

I know this is an old thread, but thought a bit more info would help
clarify the differences between Job1 & Job2 2001~2003 ExplorerSportTrac\ExST builds.

Typical V6~4.0L~SOHC EngineBay in Job1 2001 ExST
FinalAssemblyDate=2000.0101~2000.0623
~ VariableLengthIntakeManifold\VLIM (looks like a Pretzel) With IACValve
~ ThrottleBody Has CableSpool On Left; Job2 ExST Has Spool On Rght; 2007~2011 Has MotorPositioner
~ Aluminum ValveCovers With OilFill On Left
~ OilFilter with 3/4"*16 Threads
~ Original Design For Left+RightOilPressurized & FrontLeafSpring TimingTensioners
~ 5r55e Transmission wOut IntermediatShaftSpeed\ISS Sensor
~ LeftDash PreHybridElectronicCluster\PreHEC With Tach With BlackGaugeBackGround
~ ForeBrakeDiscs & RearBrakeDrums were factory 2001~2002
2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.Assy_Job1_2000.0101~2000.0623.GIF

Typical V6~4.0L~SOHC EngineBay In Job2 2001~2003 ExST
FinalAssemblyDate=2000.0624~2002.1231
~ StaticLengthIntakeManifold With IACValve; 2007~2011 Manifold wOut IACValve
~ ThrottleBody Has CableSpool On Right; Job1 ExST Has Spool On Left; 2007~2011 Has MotorPositioner
~ Plastic ValveCovers With OilFill On Right
~ OilFilter with M22*1.5 Threads
~ Improved Design For Left+RightOilPressurized & FrontLeafSpring TimingTensioners
~ 5r55e Transmission With IntermediatShaftSpeed\ISS Sensor
~ LeftDash PreHybridElectronicCluster\PreHEC With Tach With WhiteGaugeBackGround
~ ForeBrakeDiscs & RearBrakeDiscs were factory 2003~2011
2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.Assy_Job2_2000.0624~2002.1231.GIF

Last edited:
Interesting. Mine might be a “hybrid”. I clearly have a Job 1 engine (engine sticker says 5/8/2000) but my gauges have a white background. The date on the door jam sticker is “06/2000”.

You take this Job 1/Job 2 issue, and add the part counter guy always wanting to give you a part for an “Explorer Sport”, and it is a wonder I ever get the right parts!

Yep, the 2000.0624 cut over date is approximate for these changes, +/- a few weeks. For my Job2, I usually confirm any part also fits a 2002 ExST.

Last edited:
Ford has made 3 different intakes. For the 4.0L SOHC motor.
I wonder which one performs the best???

Ford has made 3 different intakes. For the 4.0L SOHC motor.
I wonder which one performs the best???
Any details on about when the 3rd version of the 4.0L IntakeManifold
went into certain models & final assemblies?
And possibly what the specific differences were?
Would this change be associated\concurrent with the
changes made in the ThermoStatHousing top outlet to the Radiator, forward routing?

The 3rd version came out on the 2007 to 2010 4.0L. It look more like the old 5.0 push rod FI motor. The chamber layed over the top of the driver side valve cover. Then directed the flow to the heads.

Is that when the DPFE sensors changed from DPFE15 to DPFE4? My 2004 for some reason has a DPFE15 in it.
Could a previous owner have swapped out a bad DPFE4 for an older DPFE15?
Mounted on the hot pipe for the ExhaustGasRecirc, these are a known high failure item.

Could a previous owner have swapped out a bad DPFE4 for an older DPFE15?
Mounted on the hot pipe for the ExhaustGasRecirc, these are a known high failure item.
The answer is no for 2 reason.
1. There is no previous owner. Still a one owner vehicle, my wife, bought it new before we married. My name isn't even on the title.
2. The plug is different on the DPFE4 than the DPFE15.

The Motorcraft FC974 is the part number for both years. How can they be different?

I had to replace my cap. Went to advance auto. The one for the '04 would not screw in. Close but no banana. The parts clerk, looked up the number for the '03. It fit perfectly. Both had never been out of the packaging. Maybe the first one came wrong from the manufactor. Been so long I cant remember the after market brand..

Latest posts