Differential Bearing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George T

Reaction score
I have this annoying and loud whining coming from the front of my ST. It stops when I come to a stop and gets louder as I speed up. Turning, applying the brakes, putting it into neutral doesnt change anything. So I dont think its the hub. CV axles are new (one is 2 years old, the other is a couple weeks old), the whining was starting before I changed the CV axle recently.

The left axle differential oil seal is leaking. The right seems like it was leaking before since there is an old oil spot on that CV axle.

I have been trying to research and look everywhere. I just cant figure out what is causing this.

I read on a site that it could be the differential bearing (output shaft bearings is another name for them I think)

Has anybody heard of this? Any help or suggestions?

Thank you,

George

2004 ST 4x4 89k miles

I had a similar problem when I had my 97 ranger. As I was driving down the road id hear a loud squealing that would stop as I stopped truck... turned out that the differential had no fluid in it because the gasket was leaking and the bearing had siezed up on it... cost almost 2000 to fix it but i hope that's not your problem.

I kinda have a similar noise on my 02 trac, I notice mine under lite throttle and between the speeds of 35 to 45 mph at higher speeds it is not there. the noise is kinda a howl like the differential but seem like it would be there at all speeds if it was the diff. and as far as the transmision goes it does it no matter what gear the auto is in even with the o/d off... any body have any tips for us. the truck shifts fine runs great so i'm kinda confused,, bearing? idk....

i just ended up pulling all the guts and axles from my front. started with a little howl and grind from the bearing. i did not drive for a month and then my front diff seized when i went to move it. opened cover and full of water. That bearing failure is common to these units.

Latest posts