Differential oil ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Owners Manual says for the rear axle "Motorcraft SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant" for the front axle (4WD and AWD) "Motorcraft SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant"
I'd use it on the rear but not the front. I had the same discussion in my head when I did the diff fluid change myself. I used Synthetic in my rear and haven't done the front yet because....well....because I'm to lazy to take the differential cover off.

Ok, so the linked lubricant (75w-140)will work in the rear...do you know capacity it requires?
Thanks

The Owners Manual says for the rear axle "Motorcraft SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant" for the front axle (4WD and AWD) "Motorcraft SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant"
I'd use it on the rear but not the front. I had the same discussion in my head when I did the diff fluid change myself. I used Synthetic in my rear and haven't done the front yet because....well....because I'm to lazy to take the differential cover off.

$7 hand pump from harbor tools..... No need to remove the cover.... and I don't know if you can on the gen 2 if there is room.....

Heres my situation...
Bought a high-mileage ( 180K MI.) Adrenalin V8 in Aug and love it to death.Previously had a 2003 and 2004 ST.
Todd suggested to change ALL FLUIDS and i will do as he commands.
Its too cold to do anything now so will research/buy what i need in the next 4/5 mo and be ready to go in spring.
Have researched the diff oil and am leaning towards Amsoil which seems so far to be rated/tested the best.I already have the Ford Friction Modifier which i have heard is still necessary with the synthetic-oil on AWD diffs ( Amsoil still recommends it)
Questions..
1. Todd mentioned the FRONT diff and using the hand-pump due to lack of space to refill.Amsoil sells theirs in a foil-bag with a 2" spout...i am thinking that this would require a lot less clearance to pour. Would it be possible on this Gen 2 to refill with this kind of pkg ? Anyone ever use this on the front?
2. On the TRANSMISSION pan-drop and fill....how much fluid would normally be drained out...how much would i need to refill it?
3. What brand/type tranny-fluid do you recommend ?
Thanks again

I use the Amsoil bottles and their hand pump to re fill..... it screws right on top of the bottle......
Trans is about 7qts when doing pan and filter..... I ONLY use motorcraft fluid.... v8 is special fluid too.....

Todd Z

Todd...so you prefer Motorcraft to Amsoil TRANNY FLUID???
Regarding the Diff....I also read a thread where you use a GASKET rather than RTV. I think you have a 6cyl rather than an 8...any suggestion on where to get the proper gaskets for the TRANNY and DIFF for the 8cyl ???

For transmission and engine coolant I only use motorcraft. Everything else Is amsoil and valvoline.

The gasket is “reusable” metal impregnated with rubber. No rtv.

I replaced mine with one from the dealer or on line motorcraft.
For the filter motorcraft or any good replacement. Make sure you get the onrings or filter seals!!!!

Also I own both V8 and V6. ;-)

Heres my situation...

1. Todd mentioned the FRONT diff and using the hand-pump due to lack of space to refill.Amsoil sells theirs in a foil-bag with a 2" spout...i am thinking that this would require a lot less clearance to pour. Would it be possible on this Gen 2 to refill with this kind of pkg ? Anyone ever use this on the front?

Thanks again

RMYLY
Just looking over this old thread and noticed something that I missed the first time I read it. Todd Z is not talking about pumping the oil in the front diff here is his quote "$7 hand pump from harbor tools..... No need to remove the cover.... and I don't know if you can on the gen 2 if there is room....." he is talking about taking the oil out.
It looks to me like there is enough room to pump the oil out and multiple ways to put it back in.
I would stick with the factory recommendations as far as oil this is concerned.

There is plenty of room to pump It out and in....... removing the cover is a different story....

Taking the cover off a Gen 2 will be a task. I just used a hand pump and changed fluid out. Little messy underneath, but no issues.

Take the spare tire out. You'll want the room.

AMSOIL Easy-Pack is the way to go. Comes in 75W-90 and 75W-140. PM me if you'd like more info.
IDIKCCq2TEyZYyCK9peW+A.jpg

Latest posts