Dim Headlights on bright

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Curry

Reaction score
I need a little help here.

My 02 Sport Trac headlights are really really dim on bright. I have the headlight switch off and autodark turns them on. I can't tell any difference when I turn on the headlight switch instead of using the mirror auto lights.. Ok, this is where I need the help. If I pull my Blinker/Bright/Low handle back to tell someone to turn off there bright lights my headlights are like twice as bright. Do the headlights run thru a seperate relay or something when you pull back on the blinker arm? Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks so much for any help!

With the light switch stalk in the normal low position (towards the driver), the low beam filament only will be lit.

When you push the stalk towards the dash into the high beam position, the low beam filament will go out and the high beam filament will be lit.

When you pull the stalk towards you, past the normal position, in to the spring loaded position, that is the passing flash position and both filaments will be lit.

So the flash position WILL be brighter than the high beam only.

When you pull the blinker handle fro the passing lights or to warn others of their brights. It is powering the the low and hidh beams together. There for the brightness.

I would your grounds socket harness and relay for loosness or corrosion.

Last edited by a moderator:
There really needs to be a way to get the illumination of pulling the stick towards the driver, without having to hold the stick. It is a marked difference :(

With my 02, I haven't used the Autolight thing on the mirror, but there is a noticeable difference between just having the normal lights on, and pushing the stick to where it will hold itself; away from the driver.

Though I personally feel that the lights aren't aimed correctly, as the light doesn't go out far enough for the roads and style of driving that I like to have. Time to adjust the headlights.

Though I think that if you can't see any difference between normal lights and pushing the stick to the brights position, that you do have a problem.

If you leave the light stalk in the back position ( hi & low together ) too much, you will melt and burn the headlight socket. Go to Suvlights and get a headlight harness kit for the 9007 bulb. It powers the headlights right off the battery. One thing to remember, if you get this kit. If the fogs are on, and you switch to hi beams then switch back to lows, they BOTH will stay on. The kit comes with heavy duty light sockets, but they can melt too.

P.S. This is a new kit, maybe different than mine. They may have modified it to eliminate the highs and lows staying on together. You could always call them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for all the help. That explains why pulling back on the stalk is so much brigther.

Still not sure why brand new silverstars are so dim. It's actually hard to see they are so dim. I may get the headlight harness kit and see if that will solve the problem. I was wondering if it could be a problem with the multi switch. Burned up wiring or something along those lines.

Well thanks again. :haveabeer:

That multi-switch can go bad from overheating by using the flash position too much. That actually happened to me with my '92 T'bird.

Latest posts