drive shaft

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Baker

Reaction score
I have been having this noise comming from under my truck it kinda sounds like a warpped rotor i can hear it between 40 and 60 km/h I also have a vibration between 100 and 120 km/h. I took it in to the shop today and after 2 hours of the service tech working on it the answer I got was that my rear drive shaft was comming abart... I have had the drive shaft replaced once under warranty at 50,000 km it was changed from a steel one to an aluminum one. I am now at 150,000km and looking at 650.00 to buy a new drive shaft... Is this a common problem and is there any recalls for this... I trust the mecanic just don't really understand the problem I thought the drive shaft was all one piece he explained that it is 2 and the inner part was rubbing throught the outter case.....

any info would be great...

thanks

Baker

Your Mechanic is full of s$$t, you have a one piece DS, pls explaine coming apart

get under the ST and to see if any of the welded wghts are missing. if all looks good, and the u-joints have no slop.

unbolt the shaft from the rear pinion flange and rotate it 180 degs.

Like I said Your trusted mech is giving you the shaft.

Never heard of such. I think it might just be u-joints. He may just wanting to replace the whole thing as unit. When I convert that to mph.

That is about the speeds that a front u-joint or bad front yoke will make noise or vibration. I cant say that he is wrong but I have never in my life seen a double wall drive shaft.

The 2WD drive shaft is a 1 piece unit with the slip yolk in the tranny tail shaft..

The 4X4 ST drive shaft has a SLIP yolk built into the middle of the drive shaft....

Some times on the aluminum ones if the boot tears, the grease comes out and it wears the splines...

I don't think the DS is bad though, probably the T-case bearing or something else..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts