Driver door wont unlock

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Johnson 2

Reaction score
My driver door will not unlock correctly. The key will not work at all i have to enter the code and hit the final number 5-6 time and pull the handle at the same time or use the remote and pull the handle at the same time. It appears the actuator is not unlock all the way. Anyone know how to resolve this?

Some trucks the actuator mounting rivets come loose....

Could also be a bad actuator...

I would take they door panel off and investigate.

Todd Z

If it's the rivet, you'll need to drill it out and replace it. Also, you might want to pull the latch out and see if there is a small spring inside it that is broken. If so, you'll need a new latch. Personally, if I'm already in there, I'd go ahead and put a new actuator in, too, if I could afford it, because they are a very common thing to go out. Both the latch and the actuator are pretty common problems with the Trac, the Sport, and the older Explorers.

Look in the latch mechanism on the door in the door jamb area. THe part that actually captures the pin. I bet you find a busted little spring sitting there. I did when mine did this.

Then click the link below for the fix.

That was happening to me also. It got so bad eventually that the door would not unlock so I would have to open through the back door. I took it to the shop and they said that the latch was bad. Now, I can open my door.

I have the same problem.....I think. My door will unlock with key, but it wont with remote. Took door panel off and found nothing loose or disconnected. Unplugged actuator and had no power at the plug. Looked at a wiring manual, and found that it gets power from the security module. Not sure how much that costs.Drivers door is isolated from rest of doors. i guess thats why when you press remote button once it unlocks drivers door, then twice for other doors. Dont know if this helped. victor

Broken little spring here, too. New latch assembly.
Jeffksf B - the link dissappeared.
Note: It appears that hypertext URLs did not make the trip to the new site. In the future, I will include both hypertext and plain text URLs.

^ Great to see you back Yardsale! IMO, of the many members on Todd's former site, you ALWAYS gave useful and excellent advice. Thank you. Door locks are NOT one of the Ford Explorer's stronger points, and latches, actuators, door hinge wiring, etc., are very common failures. Here's a link from EF for a "possible" latch spring fix. I tried it with partial success, but ended up replacing both front latches in the long run. Was lucky to score two new OE open box latches for $25 each including shipping from eBay. Remove the trim panel and glass run channel to inspect and maybe give it a try.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...atch-problem-solved-temporarily-maybe.207373/

Thank you, swshawaii. I've not had problems with my Trac lately, so haven't been as active.
I think I'll take the plunge and get the latch assembly to reduce the probability of having to deal with this again.

P.S. Anybody know how to update profilesto get the cool "badges" ("V6 Engine", etc.) seen below the user names?

Latest posts