Driver power window

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My driver window isn't rolling up or down. I have done several things to isolate the problem, but now I need some help.

- The driver switch that controls all other windows works fine; the driver window is the only one that will not roll up or down.

- No fuses are blown.

- I removed the door panel and unplugged the wiring harness from the actual driver window motor. I put a battery to it and rolled it up just fine; nothing wrong with the motor.

- With the main switch still hooked up to the wiring harness, which still controls all other windows just fine, when you press the driver button down you can hear a clicking noise. It isn't repetitive, just makes the noise once the down button is engaged. Each click down fires this noise. It is a hard noise to describe, but it sounds like a relay or something is trying to hit - but that is all that happens.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I start to tear the underneath of my dash apart to figure out where the electric is hitting a snag? Does anyone else have any other suggestions for me to work forward to try and isolate the problem?

Thanks,

Rusty

I'm thinking bad driver's window switch. If others are working then you're getting power. Doubt you can replace just that switch - you'll probably have to buy the whole multifunction switch assy. I spent about $100 on similar unit for my previous Gen1 a few months ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the gen1 switches will come apart. Try cleaning the contacts with a clean eraser. Sounds as if the switch is diirty causing a high resistance....

I haven't had a chance to try these suggestions yet, but I will. I appreciate the comments and suggestions. Like always, everyone on this forum has been a huge help...

Rusty