driver window now working...now door lock is failing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt reed 2

Reaction score
about a month ago, my 2001 2WD sport trac had the driver window fail. It makes the clicking noise seemingly from behind the dash.

All other windows open perfectly.

Now, the power locks work on all doors, but the driver door is not locking down with the power locks, I have to press it down, and when it is opened, it "kind of" pops up, sometimes I have to jiggle the handle to open the door.

any thoughts as to the main issue.

I'm kind of handy and would like to fix it myself, but I know my limitations so I'm also looking for a degree of difficulty.

And if it is a mechanic fix, any rough idea of cost of service would be great.

thanks!

They window on my '03 did the same thing a couple of weeks ago but without the locking issue. The local dealer said it would be $75 just to check it out and give me an estimate. I have not taken it in yet.

Very common problem. If all electonic switches are functioning properly, the culprit is usually the power door lock ACTUATOR. These electrical/mechanical devices have the tendency to be intermittent. Doesn't work when you are alone, works when you try to repair it. LOL. Involves removal of the door panel. Change the OEM speakers while you have the panel off. Huge sonic improvement over the stock 5 X 7 (6" X 8") full range paper cone junk. (Unless you have the upgraded Pioneer package) Alpine, Kenwood, Rockford, etc.

ANYTHING BUT OEM SPEAKERS. (Excluding Adrenalin's)

Last edited by a moderator:
swshawali - thanks for the response. how difficult is it to change out an actuator?

also, that doesn't seem like it would cause the issue with the power window though? or would it?

thanks for the response, it is truly appreciated.

Nice to know for future reference, though I know mine won't break ;)

How does one know if they have the pioneer upgrade, I'm assuming that I do since I have the stock sub, is that right?

Matt- I had one of my car audio installers replace the actuator while he had the door panel off. He was changing my speakers at the time. Obviously, before you buy one, make sure it is the problem. You have to physically see if it is hanging up when activated. Hopefully not an intermittent problem, like mine was. Post the subject on the ST board. I am sure these guys have replaced them. Good Luck Buddy ! Steve

Kevin- Not sure here either. ALL Adrenalin's have the upgraded Pioneer System

As for your BEAUTIFUL '02 ST, check with the ST gang, again. I D K S (Acronym) I DON'T KNOW S*** (Just made that up) LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Two electrical problems on the same door. I tend to think wiring harness. Could be actuators though.

The drivers side rear window quit working on my Trac a couple of years ago. I didn't worry about it since I never used it. About a week ago it all of a sudden started working again. Go figure.

Latest posts