Drove a 2023 Maverick

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"Risky Bizness"

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Adrenalin
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I drove a 2023 FORD Maverick Lariat to the car auction yesterday with 2,200 miles on it. A friend of mine had bought it and didn't like it. He's a big guy, and said it was uncomfortable for him to get in/out of, ride in. Said it was cramped.

Anyhow, I had to go approx. 120 miles in trqffic. My average speed wqs 70-75 mph. Slight wind. Raining some. The truck said it got 28.6 mpg. (I didn't check it with hard numbers).

I found the interior to be attractive, fairly comfortable, with some nice features. It rode pretty good, but it was all highway driving. It was quiet. I have no idea what engine was in it, but was pretty responsive.

HOWEVER, I didn't realize how much more room my '08 Adrenalin had and how much better it rode, until I got back in it !!!

I went by and seen my friend that got rid of the truck and he took a ride in my '08, and he said FORD should delete the Maverick, and bring back the SPORT TRAC.

FWIW

Agree, Ford should bring back the ST.

They are not even comparable.

Not a maverick fan
Not an even deal. S/t 25 k. 2001
Maverick 20 k. 2024
It's a small truck idea for 90 percent of the little truck drivers outthere to Walmart.
30 mpg impressive
Rather have Ranger
Hold up better I'm sure
But that 35 k

Not a huge fan of them, but the hybrid models are getting pretty impressive numbers(high 40’s-low 50’s). I’d buy a regular cab Maverick, 2.0 eco with awd… IF they made it(they won’t 🤬). But I’m a sucker for mini trucks 😬😬

They can be pretty quick too. A few have already made it in the 12’s, and a few more are doing turbo swaps from a Lincoln vehicle that uses the a larger turbo(same powertrain). I’d expect to see some high 11’s from them soon.

I’ve been saying Ford just needs to bring back the early-mid 2000’s Ranger with a modern engine to get the fuel economy up by another 10 mpg.

When I was looking, I was considering the Maverick and the Santa Cruz.

I’m really glad I held out to find my 2010 Adrenalin V8. Tows great and is comfortable.

Both my wife and I have 2008 Sport Tracs. Hers has the 4.0 and is a 2wd. Mine is a 2008 Adrenalin with the 4.6 AWD.

I know that from what I was told, that the ST was dis-continued because of poor fuel mileage back when fuel mileage was of great concern. I also know the ST is a heavier vehicle. BUT, it has a F R A M E under it, and that is a concern for me, because I want a (IMO), better built truck. Deer, and other idiot drivers on the road concern me.

BESIDES, the ST's are just a cool looking truck, that not everybody has. AND you can comfortably haul 5 people around in comfort.

My opinion, is that the Maverick is a flash in the pan, that will fizzle out. Just not impressed. Our other rides are a 2015 King Ranch F-150, and a 2017 King Ranch F-150. They all ride good.

O.K. I'm off my soap box. Just my $0.02

According to Ford, the ST was discontinued due to poor sales in the later years. Personally, I think the ST being discontinued was the result of increased government regulations concerning fuel efficiency to weight ratio. This was the death of most SUVs and small trucks with frames. This is also why we cant get new vehicles with frames and bigger engines.

^ I agree. BUT we can now have heavier cars with the big batteries in them.

Latest posts