Dual Battery Gen 2 Sport Trac/Gen 4 Explorer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith S

Reaction score
Has anyone done a dual battery setup? Wondering what all it will entail.

My 07 V6 has a nice spot directly behind the stock air box that would be perfect to hold another battery. Dual battery will be for running power tools, off road lights/warning lights, winch, computer, & sound system. Anyone have any preferances on what isolator I should use? Solenoid or electric switch?

Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

No one has that I know of on a ST here. I have done this on many a car/truck.

You can simply hook them up in parallel and be done with it, OR use a Marine isolator or switch to separate them.

But with 1 alternator it needs to be connected to be charged.

Todd Z

My son had a big Caprice with two batteries and two alternator. Separate systems....ome for the car and one for the thumpin stereo. He used to joke that with a couple connection changes, the car had the ability to jump start itself!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. So I might be doing a "first" again for the Gen 2 ST (awesome :p). And I will be using an isolator of some sorts to seperate the two batteries.

@07 Sport Trac - with a dual battery system with the proper isolator you can use the other battery to self jump.

Iv thought about adding another battery and mounting it in the front bed compartment.. Ground to the bed bolt in the bin and power line along inside of frame..

The compartment next to the cab in the bed is already called for in mine. After the dual battery gets installed I will be putting some "tools" and some electrical components (able to get slightly wet) in there (have a jack and a fire extinguisher in there now). Although it would make a nice spot for a battery due to the weather seal.

Latest posts