Dual Exhaust Questions, I need some help.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl TuckerJr

Reaction score
I I have 2004 Sport Trac Adrenalin and I am looking to change my exhaust set-up I want to go with 2.5" (or larger if I can) stainless steel Flowmaster 40 with dual exhaust out. Here are some of my questions that I am looking for answers:

1. What do I need to look for when I get the dual exhaust out. Is there a certain way the pipes need to be routed with interfering with the spare tire or other things wires of lines that may get in the way. I can trust the mechanic but I was to have some idea before I get this work done.

2. I am also looking at how I should have the pipes going out. Straight out vs. flare out to the side. Will it make a difference with performance or will I burn a hole in my leg getting something out the back of the truck. Pictures would be nice.

Thanks!

Tuck4sure :D

I have the flowmaster 40 series single in dual out..I have the duals running out of the side just because I wanted something different.. I've never had a problem with the leg burning but I know it's there.. I'd say go with what you like.. I've heard a lot of guys compain that it's difficult to keep the spare tire with the duals running straight out the back.. but then again there are tons of guys on here with that setup..So it must be possible. You just need an experienced shop to go that route... lots of bends.. Here's some pics.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I suggest you stay with 2" pipes through out to maintain the low-end torque. I went with a 2" in/2.5" dual out Magnaflow muffler with Magnaflow tips. There are more detailed pics in my library.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

If you go with flowmaster for the muffler. You dont need stainless. There cases are very heavy with the steel. Definitly use polished stainless tips. Chrome will rust in 6 months.

Maybe some of the guys that have pics of the pipes under their trac will chime in. I dont remember who but some have them in there library.

Have had SS side exhaust (tips) for about 3 yrs, no issues at all.

Only downside to SS flows is cost, aluminized steel flows wgt the same and will last longer than you will have the trac.

Tuck,

Dual exhaust is awesome! Go for it man. I would say going straight back is my personal preference, but it is really up to you. I have a Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 Series on my 02' trac and it sounds great. I have attached a pic of what it looks like coming out the back. Also, go to my cardomain website (which you can find in my profile) and on page 3 there is a good pic of how they routed it. You will need to go around the spare tire and hitch, which means you will go through your leaf springs. Now this may seem crazy but I have had no problems in the 4.5 years I have had this set up. Good luck!

Matt

[Broken External Image]:

PS: If you plan to do ANY offroading in the future, I would also suggest straight back. Then, if you're going over a rock, you don't ding the exhaust tips. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the first time I've seen an st without a bed--looks cool.

(Though in the topic of this here thread I like the 'running silent' factory exhaust ;) )

the only problem with running your tips straight back and offroading is going down in ditches perpendicular to the truck, if your exit angle is steep your going to crush the ends of your tips if you dont have enough clearance. for most cases bringing the tip out on either side right behind the tire like stock location is the best way to protect them IMO. the only thing that gets to it then is all the mud you'll be slinging. but you can fix that with splash guards. anyone wanna hook me up with some.

flowmaster is a good muffler. i have a 40 series but ive also heard that a super 44 series will make it louder. or u could go no muffler and have true dual straights. straights will be the loudest. but wat ever u do get 2.5" stainless steel tips. they sound the best. but it all sepends on wat u want it 2 sound like. if u like loud n obnoxious then go for straights. if u like not so loud go for the 40 or super 44 series. but get 2.5" tips. most every1 here has the tips goin straight out tha back. if u get them flared out. they will have to angle them down cause the shackle is too far back to have them flared out like they are on f150's or silverados.