dull thumping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam evans

Reaction score
I am hearing (and sometimes feeling) a dull thumping noise when driving, and the frequency increases with my speed. I believe this to be generated from the front of my 2003 Sport Trac. I checked the wheels for sticking brakes to no avail and removed the front wheels for a visual inspection of the suspension and steering and noticed nothing obviously out of place. This afternoon I think I will examine the wheel bearings unless there is a suggestion from this group.

thank you,

Adam

Honestly, it sounds like your tires are cupping. If the thumping is associated with the speed of the vehicle, slows when the vehicle slows (and gets somewhat louder and more pronounced), and speeds up when the vehicle speeds up (almost not noticeable at really high speeds), then that might be what it is. If so, there is no "fixing" a cupped tire. You just have to move it (rotate your tires) and it will not be noticeable until the new tire in it's place starts cupping. If you have the stock Goodyears, go ahead and get new tires....it is most likely them that are the problem. People here will scream shocks, but I think it's a load of crap. I've had 3 sets of tires on my ST with original shocks...the ONLY set to cup were the Goodyears. Best of luck to you. I am sure more people will chime in with suggestions too.

Do you feel some vibration on the steering wheel or thru the seat?

Tire cupping on the front will be felt on the steereing wheel, from the rear tires, you'll feel it on the seat.

Even if it's from the rear tires, sometimes you hear it coming from the front...

JennD is on the right Trac...

First, simply rotate your tires. Is the noise still there? If so, you need to dig further into your front suspension area or axles if 4 wheel drive.

If not, you have a rim or tire issue.

This will not solve the issue, but it will help isolate out the issue.