E-Brake light coming on while driving - ??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn D

Reaction score
This has now happened twice.

When I leave my neighborhood I make a few turns to get onto a long running straight road. It has happened twice now, but while on this road, I look down, my e-brake light is on. I never use my e-brake (living in FL with a flat driveway and flat parking lot at work). The first time, I just pulled on the release while I was driving and it turned off.

This morning, I didn't notice the light was on until I felt a weird hesitation between gears and looked down to see what was going on, then when I saw the light, I pulled the release and nothing happened. I tried it again, and nothing. I hit the brakes to see if it would do anything and still nothing. Finally, I pulled over into a gas station. As I pulled into a parking spot, before I put the ST in Park, the light turned off (once my ST came to a complete stop). So, I shut it off. Let it sit. And then started it up again. No light. However, when I pulled out of the gas station, back onto the road, the light came on again. About an 1/8 of a mile down the road I considered turning around and going home to drive the Ranger to work, the light shut off on it's own.

This has happened twice now in a week. It only happens in the mornings and aside from the odd shift this morning (which could have just been a morning hiccup), it doesn't effect the driveability of the ST. Regardless, does anyone have any thoughts on what it might be? If I should be worried? Should I just go get a new F-150 now since Ford rolled out the 0% for up to 72 months? j/k .... or am I? (I actually considered this last night....I wonder if my ST is punishing me)

:blink:

If your e brake is not really on, just the light, check the switch and mounting bracket.

It's on the brake bracket itself. It might be loose or needs an adjustment.

Gary D.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this same issue with my 04 Trac. I took it into the dealer and they made some adjustments to the E-brake. I too never used mine here in St. Louis.

and you are in the same boat I was. I ended up trading my Trac in for an 06 Supercrew.

Did you happen to check you brake fluid level????

This will also turn on the light...

Todd Z

In the last 2000 miles I've had a "complete" service and they supposedly checked it. However, I will double check it tonight. I will also check the switch and mounting bracket. Thanks guys.

Most places will not ADD fluid to the master. If the level is low that means there is a leak or the brake pads have worn down. The fluid level could just be slightly low. AND do not fill it to the top. This will make a huge mess when you do get brakes put on...

i feel 100% you do not have a leak.

Keep us posted.

Todd Z

I agree with Todd. Mine did the same thing every time I would apply the brakes and come to a stop. First thing I checked was the resevoir and it was low. Put some in and it stopped comming on.;)

The odd thing though is that my light goes OFF when I braked to a complete stop. It didn't discriminate between accelerating or braking, only complete stops. Then is just went off completely a few minutes later.

I'll still check everything though. I am also going to discuss a new F-150 with the fiancee. I'm going to have to be extra specially nice to make this happen. :D

Well, it did it again when I was leaving work. It only comes on when I first start it up from cold, and only when I accelerate. If I get up to speed and stay, it goes off, if I hit the brakes hard it stops, but overall it only lasts for a little over 2 minutes (enough time to get on the highway).

When I got home, I let my ST sit and then checked the brake fluid and it's good, not too low or too high. Then I attempted to check the switch and mounting bracket and realize that I have no clue where this is. I did check to see if anything was out of whack in the under the hood as well as where the e-brake pedal is under the control panel.

I'm a bit stuck.

I talked to Scott tonight about trading. At the moment I "talked" him into it, I almost cried. I realized that I really don't want to part with my ST. I like it too much and have spent too much time and money on it. However, with the wedding looming and spending over $350 in transportation costs (gas and tolls) to go to and from work, I could use a cut in payments. I'm torn.

But for now, my task at hand is trying to diagnose what's going on with my baby. Any ideas?

The sensor is located below where the fluid goes... There is a plug in the metal...

I say add some fluid to the reservoir and go from there.....

Also when in is open you will see the foam float in there, move that up and down a little with a pen maybe it is stuck...

I still say it is the fluid level...