E-Z Pass tag for the ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynthia Grant

Reaction score
Way back in 2003 when I bought my new ST, I got a special E-Z pass tag that mounts on the front license plate because somewhere I heard that the normal tags that mount to the inside of your windshield would not work on an ST. I vaguely recall something about the type of glass or the tinted strip at the top interfering with the E-Z pass.

Anyway, the tag on the license plate worked fine for years, but recently I keep getting stuck at tollbooths because the tag readers aren't sensing the tag (maybe they have changed the type of readers at the booths?). Are there any ST owners out there that are using a regular windshield-mounted E-Z pass? If others are using the normal one successfully, I'll get one and get rid of the bumper-mounted tag.

Thanks for any suggestions!

BTW- I'm referring to the E-Z pass in the NY metro area.

Are you talking about the electric windshield defroster-- the windshield has tiny wires embedded in it during the laminating process? I believe these were only available on 2007-2008 Tracs.

Toll tags have a chip in them similar to the chip in the new style credit cards but a bit thicker.

Because your toll tag is mounted on the front of your vehicle and susceptible to damage. Perhaps you or someone may have bumped the toll tag while parking damaged it?

The only restrictions I have heard of in using the windshield mount toll tag is that it should not be mounted close to any metal objects. I think some window tint is a type of metal coating and I know my Pontiac Grand Prix with the Heads-up display ( gauges projected up onto the windshield) have some transparent metal coating on the windshield.

In Texas, most of the toll booths are automatic and do not have gates...you just drive through whether you have a toll tag or not. The toll booths take a photo to get your license plate, and toll tag in case the automatic toll tag readers fail to detect your tag or if you don't have a toll tag. Because they take a pic of your tag, they also require a clear unrestricted view of the tag, which means that it cannot be mounted in the tinted areas or in the blacked-out areas around the rear view mirror that many vehicles have. It the tag was not detected they can verify and charge your account from the license plate. If you have Texas license plates but don't have a toll tag, you will get a bill in the mail a few months later with additional charges for manually billing, and for processing and mailing your toll charge statement. If you don't pay by the due date, more charges are added on and you get billed for hundreds of dollars in late fees and penalties for failing to pay a $1.50 toll charge :angry:

I have 2 vehicles with toll tags and I mount them on the windshield, behind the rear view mirror, and just below the blacked-out area around the mirror mount.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a 04 and had the front licence tag till it cracked from the cold...i switched to the windshield one and have it mounted next to the rearview mirror and have had no problems at all..from Maine to Maryland ..

Does the E-Z pass unit require a battery at some point? I've had mine on the windshield for more then 5 years (07 ST) with no problems.

Benny

Ohio is starting to send out replacements at the 10 year mark free of charge. Guess that's about the life of the battery. I'm a year out from that.

Use window mount in both St's and all cars. No issues.

Todd Z

If it has a battery, I'd bet that's the problem. Lithium batteries last a long time, but you've had your transponder a long time.

Latest posts