E85 prices?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Johnson

Reaction score
Last summer when gas went over $3, E85 was $1.99 in my area. Then when gas went down E85 leveled out to $1.76 for most of the winter. About 6 weeks ago it went to $1.80. Now it's climbed to $2.25. What are E-85 prices in your area? I'm in northern IL.

I've had six 4x4's and my Sport Trac ties my first one ('79 full size Chevy,full time 4x4, 400 cid, 4 barrel) for poor milage. My Ford dealer said that 12 mpg on gas is normal for this type of vehicle. I kind of think that over 30% less than the EPA estimate would be worth looking into but the service manager seems to not care if this is my first and last Ford they sell me. They want to sell me an extended warranty and I can't wait to get away from them and take it to a good independent shop. He even wrote up that I was using unapproved fuel cause mentioned I burned E85 sometimes.

Can't help with the prices, but 12 MPG is very low, regardless of fuel. I've averaged 18.5 over 40k miles I've recorded fuel use using regular 87 octane. ST ('02 4x4) has 67k on it. That is a mix of highway, city, stop and go, etc. I don't drive slow either. I do run full synthetic everywhere and am reasonable about accelerating, but I'm always going ~70-75 (along with everybody else) on the highway.

using unapproved fuel cause mentioned I burned E85 sometimes
:huh:

That service manager is an idiot. Your '05 ST is a Flex-Fuel Vehicle, so it can burn either E85 or regular gas.

E85 ranges from $2.00 to $2.14 in western Iowa.

I'm thinking I heard straight ethanol is going for $2.35'ish per gallon on the wholesale market...

Red Trac,

Alcohol based fuels are capable of generating more horsepower than conventional gasoline, however they also produce about 25% less MPG.

If the E85 prices are 25% or cheaper than the price of gasoline, then you can gain a small savings at the pump.

As for E85 prices? I don't know my 2003 Sport Trac does not have the Flex-Fuel engine.

The service manager is dead wrong. Your enigne is designed to run on any alcohol/gasoline blend from 85% alcohol (E85) to pure gasoline. I would complain to that dealer's management and if that did not work, I would go to the regional reps, etc You can even contact Ford directly by phone to voikce your complaints.

Joe W.,

Since the Chips, and XCal-2 are programed for a fixed octane fuel, it would not make much difference in the tuning. If you used the E85 with an 87 octane tune, you would not see any more improvement than you would if you ran 87 octane gas. If you have a hotter tune for 92 octane gas, then you would see the full HP from that tune with E85 and get cheaper fuel too!

You may want to check with Wayne Foy. He may have a super tune available for E85 fueled Sport Tracs.

...Rich

Rich,

I check my mileage with every tank and at the most I lose 1 mpg with E85. I know that they say it will be 5-12% less (some even more) but that hasn't been the case for me, my mileage is lousy with both.

As for the tune, I'm not really thinking of getting one but was wondering if they have a performance tune for 105 octane E85.

Latest posts