E85

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George T

Reaction score
I have a 2004 that can run on E85, i have never tried it. Can i just try it once(1 full gas tank) and go back to regular gas? It is usually started in cold, so is it a good idea to try to use it during the cold? Any other tips?

Thanks, George

i used it for a while. mixed with gas, sometimes full tanks then switched back and havent used it for a year, no problems so far. it was just awful on milage

Most that have used it found that their MPG was way less and the cost savings was not worth it..

Todd Z

It was low enough to make me never go back to it unless I have to...I don't have any numbers right now, but I do know my fuel needle went down MUCH faster than when using gas. If you want numbers I can go get them out of my Trac.

That would be nice, because last time i averaged 16.5 in the city with slight highway. So im wondering how low it would go and see if it would be worth it(cost wise).

Thanks,George

Yeah, no problem, just give me a little and I can get them to you. I only used one tank, and it wasn't even a full tank either, closer to half, but I'll go get my book and maybe by then someone else will chime in with their numbers.

When I ran E85 in my 05, I got about 285 miles out of a full tank. On regular unleaded, I get about 400 miles out of a full tank. Same driving habits.

Previously I was averaging about 18.5 MPG on gas, and the one time I used E85 I got 14.9 MPG. I know it's not a huge difference, and I don't drive much, but to me that was enough to not use it again unless I have to or if gas prices get way too outrageous.

Oh, the 18.5 average was about 60/40, city/highway, and the E85 was 40/60 city/highway (all just rough guesses).

Hope this helps :)

Ok thanks Dave and Craig, ill think about it, i got like ~330 on this time and the low fuel just showed up so i will see what the mpg will be.

Thanks,GeorgeT