ECM replacement? Do I need one?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71steed

Reaction score
I think I may need a new ECM. My truck has 238k miles and is acting weird. New battery and alternator but the dash tells me to check charging system every 10 minutes and the battery light never goes out but its putting out 14.2 volts. The interior lights come on at times by themselves. The temp is wrong on occasion when I start her up. Radio light sometime are bright and sometimes unreadable. Low tire pressure comes on occasionally. Should I change the ECM?

Year Engine Tranny 2WD\4WD ... ? This info in your Profile+Signature+Thread helps a lot.
If you've got a 2004 or later SportTrac, could be the HEC InstrumentCluster;
they're known to be a source of wierd electical issues.

Most of those items are other issues that can be fixed.... almost NONE of them are controlled by the ECM...

Year Engine Tranny 2WD\4WD ... ? This info in your Profile+Signature+Thread helps a lot.
If you've got a 2004 or later SportTrac, could be the HEC InstrumentCluster;
they're known to be a source of wierd electical issues.
It's a 2008, 4WD, V6

I'd be taking Dash apart, general HouseCleaning+Maintenance.
Cleaning+Tightening+DoubleInsulating+Reinforcing (Crimps+Scotch33+CableTies) all electrical connections.
Same thing under Hood. Pull+CheckWithMeter+Clean all Relays+Fuses.
If the HEC Cluster does have an internal problem; there are shops that specialize in this repair;
can't be swapped easily as its uniquely\securely mated to PCM to prevent OdoMeter fraud.

Latest posts