Econoline Van: Ford ends it's life 2013

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
End of the Ford Econoline marks a new era for great American vans... Yahoo news

Transit to take it's place,, Big brother for the Transit Connect....... Nothing but a "Ford" Sprinter Van

435e471e1d48f877da41396f71d96191.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a mighty bigoted article. New and different doesn't always equal better. Well, maybe to mindless fanbois...

I'll miss the good old-style van that all of the Big Three have been making for as long as I've been alive. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The fact that Chrysler's 'new and different' minivan is every bit as big and a lot more expensive than a basic full sized work van supports that adage well.

Speaking of Chrysler, notice how their total commitment to FWD eco-boxes cost the company lots of business. Notice how Chrysler has had to backtrack a LOT since the days of Lee Iacocca and the K car. What's Chrysler's big sell now? HEMI. 'Nuff said.

BTW, no, the Ford Transit IS a real Ford, is NOT a Sprinter, and has earned a very good reputation in Europe, where it has been the dominant van for nearly as long as the American Ford van has been here in the US. Ford Europe has a very good reputation. In this age of rising gas prices, I welcome the Ford van that was designed for narrow European streets and heavily taxed European motor fuel prices. As a consumer, I don't want to see shipping fees go up. As a driver, I don't want to have to deal with big box trucks clogging up public roads. As a Sport Trac driver, I hope that an American version of the Transit Country 4x4 (preferably with a big V-8) will pick up where the Sport Trac left off.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really does look like a Sprinter :(

It also only has 2 grill bars. I thought Ford's new design paradigm was 5 bars, as seen on the 2013 Fusion among others, replacing the 3 bars which were standard for a few years.

That article is dripping with unwarranted hate for body-on-frame construction :sad: