Elbow Woes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
You guys said replacing the elbow was easy...well how did you get the freaking thing off? Inquiring minds need to know, as getting that sucker off wasn't easy at all.

Once I found it, that is...ya'll don't have a picture that I could find, and the text says "under the throttle body", and there's no elbow there...it's under the cover, and off to the left :(

So I found the sucker, and also found that my breather tube was unplugged, so I plugged it back in, and then I looked at my elbow and realized that it had huge cracks on top (not on bottom?), so I had to attack it with a knife, wire cutters, and finally a screwdriver to get the sucker over the lip and off.

Then I find that the 5/8" elbow is a misnomer--an elbow for a 5/8" tube is smaller than 5/8", but the box didn't say that! When I see "5/8 inch elbow" I expect it to be 5/8" in diameter! Freaking chinese goods.

So with no other recourse at hand, I had to cut an old bike inner tube and zip tie it on--at least it will be easy to remove! Sure it isn't the best thing, and I have nothing to keep it from pinching, but it is in my mind superior to the ford pos, and it will last me until I get to a place to get something appropriate.

Piece of Crap ford engineering! I might just get really big heater hose and clamp it down so that it is actually removable! This is ridiculous. I had some language incidents here--I had none with the spark plugs or oil :(

So much for a painless easy fix :( :( :(

Well, that eliminates beyond all doubt that I pulled the right sucker off, thanks.

Though in retrospect if I had been in possession of a sharp knife, this wouldn't have been such a pain. Rubber is not my friend :(

So now I need to get an elbow that actually is 5/8"s...and a sharp knife ;)

Actually, yours looks like just a piece of hose, so I guess that works as well, if an elbow isn't forthcoming.

Maybe this would be a good time to buy a bypass kit, as that tube always falls out every time I work on my trac, and I drive for miles without noticing, sucking in unfiltered air.

Zabteck, ya'll wouldn't happen to have the orange filter in stock, would you?

Thanks.

Surprisingly, the inner tube has lasted a 15 mile drive, and the shaking idling that required dual pedaling to suppress is gone, as is the CEL.

Gotta get a real fix though, as the tube is crimped in from the oppressive radiator hose alone, though after seeing all that gunk in the rubber elbow, I shudder to think about what is in my intake hose and throttle body...plan upgrade can't be a bad idea.

Latest posts