Electric Brake Controller

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
Has anyone installed one on a Gen 1 ST?

I have the 4 pin connector and I'm looking at buying a 6x12 with electric brakes and a 7 pin connector. I can get an adapter to get the trailer home for ~$10 which won't have the brakes working.

Then I will need to purchase a brake controller which my quick searches show as ~$80 but I have no experience installing one. Is it pretty straight forward?

Any recommendations/help?

I've done several, its pretty easy. I've used the Tekonsha brand-not sure I got that spelled right. They come with good instructions and are pretty bullet proof. I wire the power feed from the battery and use a 30 amp breaker at the battery. I know what I have for power and ground by using the battery directly. I've picked them up off of ebay for about $40. I have the older version-without the digital readout.

It's a 4 wire install......+12VPower/Ground/Brake light/Trailer brake power

Check out the installation instructions in my "Trailer Brake" library folder.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Lil Red is right.

I am running an Activator III. I mounted the box under my radio in the dash and run a wire to connect the hand held controller to. Works great and is a stealth install.

Tom

I have a controller and the plug for the back I bought to put on my '01 but never got around to it.. You want to come and get it?? It's yours if you want.....

Latest posts