Electrical gremlins

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
2002 2wd 4.0 engine. This started about three months ago when the solenoid/switch/thing-a-ma-bob, on the front of the master cylinder, decided to go up in smoke while the engine was off for over two hours. Luckily I was close by and popped the latch, raised the hood located the origin of the smoke and pulled the terminal off. Wires were melted but the truck started up and stopped okay so I continued to use the vehicle. Found out it was some sort of switch for the cruise control release.
Last week during a 3 hour trip I was told I had no brake lights. Stopped at a auto parts store and picked up a 15 amp fuse; back on the road.
Now I have noticed that when I park it, keep my foot on the brake pedal, and take out the key I get that "ding,ding,ding" that would normally accompany leaving the lights on. Soon as my foot leaves the break pedal the dinging stops.
Never did this before and this is only a mild irritation. However due to the past brake issues I've experienced (smoking solenoid, brake light fuse,) I'm wondering if there is something wrong on the electrical side of the brake system?
Can anyone here add their input or past experiences?
Thanx

That cruise control switch on the front of the master cylinder was recalled years ago because it tended to do exactly what happened to you. Call your local dealership and find out if they will fix it for you.
Yes, electrical issues may tend to cascade down and hide the real problem. Get that cruise control switch fixed first if you have not already (especially if there are fried wires), it's a pretty important safety feature.

Latest posts