Electronic Rust Prevention

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick T 2

Reaction score
anyone ever heard of this type of system?

Counteract Electronic Rust Protection System

[Broken External Image]:

Provides total rust protection for the entire vehicle body, inside and out

Used by industry professionals in some of the harshest industrial conditions for 20 years (salt harvesting, mining, aviation, snow removal)

Cost effective (one time purchase)

Environmentally friendly (chemical-free technology is completely harmless to the driver and vehicle) car $199 cdn suv $249 cdn

The science is pretty much there, but I'm not really seeing that little box making much of a difference. For one, the chassis already has numerous negative leads running to it.

The science is there for sacrificial anode protection of buried/submerged objects. It's been used for steel hulled vessels for many years. Now on an automobile, which isn't submerged, the sellers of such devices are in two camps. One sells a sacrificial anode system where zinc bars are to be located in areas that tend to get wet. It's supposed to work just like the boat protection systems; i.e., the zinc anode corrodes instead of the steel hull [auto body]. The other type sets up an electrostic charge on the auto body through capacitive coupling making the body one side of a capacitor. One site I visited made it a point to mention that such technology will not protect bar metal, only painted surfaces. Nor would it protect an area that was already corroded. Nor would it reverse any corrosion back to base metal.

So, if one were to buy one of these things and there is no rust, then it worked. If one didn't buy one and there is no rust then it wasn't needed anyway. If one buys one and still gets rust then it was a waste of money. If one doesn't buy one and gets rust then one might think he should have bought one. A clear case of "pay your money and take your chances".

Bill-E's analysis is correct... they work.. they are not cheap, and i would like to figger' out how to make one... you can remove rust via reverse electrolysis, which i have personally done, and that works. They both are the same basic principle. see http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoepp/electrolyticrust.html