Emergency Brake

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes Davis

Reaction score
I let my new girl get in my ST and she was just messing around trying everything out. Well she stepped on the emergency brake and pushed it to the floor. Now it wont release. I finally called a mechanic who came over to the house and he was able to pop the cable loose from the pedal and release the brakes. Does anyone know what happened here? Keep in mind the cable wasn't stuck but the actual pedal or release handle itself was stuck??? Currently the cable is still off and I have no emergency brake.

Edit: 2005 model and to my knowledge this is the first time the emergency brake had ever been used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: 2005 model and to my knowledge this is the first time the emergency brake had ever been used.

That is your first problem. Parking brakes are designed to be used on a regular basis. Because of that, you need to tear everything apart and lubricate everything and check if it is free.

On some vehicles with 4 wheel disk brakes, not the Sport Trac though, the parking brake cable adjusts the rear caliper. By not using the parking brake, you are not adjusting the rear brakes causing less braking power as the vehicle gets older.

Tom

Latest posts