Emission Fail

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 62851

Reaction score
Hello all. I have the SCT3. The vehicle is running the 89 tune. I just took the truck to the emissions place to get it checked. Their computer said, that my vehicle computer had too many codes on it and I needed to be retested. How can I get the vehicle computer to only have one code? And if I were to change codes, per say, I'm running 89 now and change over to 87, how long until the vehicle reads only one code, so I won't fail again. Or would just disconnecting the battery get rid of the second code that isn't being used. I need to know something. They gave me an extension to 3/32/11. Thanks to anyone with great information.

I believe you must reflash your truck back to stock.

I'm not sure what "too many codes" and "has to be retested" means.

I guess the truck failed emmissions testing. A tune (reprogram) could be the culprit, and maybe even the cure for a failed emmissions test, but neither is necessarily the case.

I don't know if "too many codes" means the throwing of too many error codes during the test, or if you or the test techs are asking about too many flashed programs in memory. Your question about disconnecting the battery and getting rid of the "unused" code seems to indicate that is what you are asking about.

One interpretation of what you are saying is that the truck failed, the test center is saying that it is because of the tune (or the presence of the stock tune in addition to the new tune?) and they suggest that you go back to the stock program. If that is what is suggested, then it might pass when you reprogram to stock and run for a few days and then again it might not.

TJR

Thanks for quick reply. The truck isn't throwing codes other than having a new tune and an old tune on it. I currently am running the 89 tune. Their computers are reading that I have 2 tunes on the vehicle. If I were to disconnect the battery would it get rid of the old tune. Or will it eventually just work itself out of the system by starting/turning the on/off?

What is the trouble code that is stored in the computer? If they are reporting something then there has to be a trouble code regardless if the check engine light is on or not.

There is an Emission setting that the person that wrote you tunes needs to set right on the ST when using an Xcal......

Contact the person that gave you the tunes and have it corrected....

I had Torrie write me tunes for this as Doughs tuned caused me Failed emission testing..

Todd Z

I had my trac emission checked with the 93 tune. All went good, Passed. I dont see how the ecu would even function with a tune on top of a tune.

A code is not the same as a tune. Codes are error or component failure reports.

I have to flash mine back to stock and drive it for a couple days before mine will pass inspection, it is a Pain in my @ss, and of course one shop failed mine for the cold air intake. (Complete Morons there).

How was the test performed? Did they just plug their computer into your truck or did they drive it on rollers? If they drove it on rollers, then your emissions was actually tested. Here in GA they only plug in to the truck. I would do as Chad said, flash it back to stock and drive around for a week. It will take approx 40complete cycles to get rid of the P1000(No memory) code. One cycle is start up and idle normal. Disconnecting the battery will not delete the codes.

Latest posts