Engin swap?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get real!! :bwahaha::bwahaha:

The Hemi engine is also known as "the Elephant engine" because they are huge heavy engines, and a very wide engine. Gen-1 Sport Trac engine compartments are so small that they can barely shoe-horn a small 4.6 L Ford engine in there. Ford did not put a V8 into the Sport Trac until the Gen-2 with a roomier engine bay.

...Rich

Never heard of a 440 hemi any-how. 440 was a wedge head. 426 was the early hemi head.

If you must, a very exspensive super six is easier to install. But need a completely new custom ECU computer and electronic package, to stay FI and DIS.

The largest V8 block that will fit in the '01 to '05. Is the 302 push-rod winsdor. Older carburated with mechanical distributer 302 easier and cheapest. But depending where you live.

This is one of those ???'s. Of cost and emissions problems.

Eddie,

Yes Chrysler makes and sells a 440 Hemi crate engine...Not the same as the old 440 six-pak of the early 1970's. And I don't think it was ever put in a factory MOPAR.

It's like the Chevy 572 crate engine. Chevy makes them, but they don't put them in any of the production cars they sell.... Strictly hot rodder's aftermarket engines.

...Rich

Rich,

I never kept up with Mopar crate motors...Thinking OEM...

My last Mopar hotrod was a '73 340 4bbl Cuda.....

In '79 after restoration mechanicaly (motor, trans & suspension). Next was, to get a paint job. Illegal ran red light. Twisted the frame from the windshield forward.:angry:..$$$$ down the drain in 2 seconds.

It's "possible" but if you have to ask, you aren't going to get it done. Sorry but you're in waaaaaay over your head.

Eddie,

I was as skeptical about the 440 Hemi as you were...I never heard of it either. I looked it up online and found that it is MOPAR's largest crate engine and only sold as an aftermarket engine primarily for use buy hot rodders. MOPAR makes about 7 different sized Hemi crate engines and most have never been used in factory production cars....But they also sell an updated version of the 426 Hemi

...Rich

Get a 5.0 from a 99 Mercury mountaineer, Basically Bolt in....

Some one did a Chevy 350 swap too.

Todd Z

Wow, couple of you guys jumped on Austin; not used to seeing that on this forum.:fire:

It ain't no HEMI, but I had a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer with the 4.6 L SOHC that was a strong runner. I was excited about getting my 2010 with the 4.6 L. It's got the old mercury beat in HP and torque, but it's not the same motor. It's most likely to do with tuning, gearing, and throttle response to save fuel, but the Mercury was definitely ready to run more than my ST is. The ST needs to be wound out, whereas the Mercury's power was always "right there."

I didn't mean for it to be "jumping" on him. Sorry if it came off that way, Austin. Just saying that anyone that either doesn't already know how or doesn't specify that money is no object, simply isn't very likely to get a project like this through to completion.

I started typing out what I think would be the best way to go about getting that engine into a ST (or something with the body of a ST rather) but I'm definitely not an expert so I'll leave it alone. I can bet that the torsion bars aren't up to the task.:bwahaha:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a big block Sport Trac. If you can find a way, I'll be one of your biggest fans. I'd rather see a 429 or 460 in one, though.:grin:

ncstatewolfpacker,

I agree with Hugh and don't like to stomp on other peoples dreams, but sometimes people need to understand there is a difference between dreams and reality.

The question Austin asked was so far from reality, that most people who responded thought it was impractical. That spoke volumes of Austin's lack of experience in engine swapping and not likely able to complete the project himself. I doubt that Chip Foose and the Overhauling crew would take on the task of stuffing a 440 Hemi in a street driven Gen-1 Sport Trac.

I think we all know that the Sport Trac 5 speed automatic transmission would have to be replaced since it can barely handle the HP and torque from the 4.0 L, 205HP, V6. That inevitably will require many other parts changes throughout the drive line and suspension that will quickly eat up a lot of cash. If you don't change them, they won't last under the power of the 440 Hemi....and if you can't use the power for fear of breaking something, what's the point of the big block engine? Much cheaper and more practical to use a small block engine that will provide a boost in performance and much easier and cheaper to install.

Can it be done? Sure, if cost is no object. There is an old adage that says: "A fool and his money are soon parted". Sometimes you have to slap somebody back to reality before they do something really stupid.

...Rich

Rich,

I've seen some really stupid questions (often times with the poster stating it was probably so). I'm the last guy who's gonna tell someone not to air their opinion, but I just thought Austin got jumped on (a little, not as much as the cartoon implies:fire:) Maybe this one's better.:smack:

Hopefully Austin (who is brand new to the board) won't hesitate to ask his next question when he's got a squeak or a fluid leak that he's not sure where it's coming from. I don't know anything about him, so he could be a kid with his first truck, or he might build choppers in his garage.

I've googled lots of issues for lots of cars, boats, bikes, and a host of other objects with moving parts. Some forums are so riddled with name-calling and nastiness that it's hard to get to an answer to what you're looking for. We're far from that here, and that's one of the things I like about this forum.

To answer the question. Yes it's possible. Buy a one ton pickup so it can actually use the power. Take the body off. Cut the frame to the length of a Sport Trac. Drop 440 and matching transmission in. Relocate axles for ST wheel wells. Put ST body on after cutting everything inside the front clip body panels out. Scratch head for months over electronics. Test your determination.

Figure about $15-20k I'd guess. Anybody else got a guess?

If you can weld and fab, anything is possible.

We had a member here who dropped a carbed Chevy 350 and Turbo 350 tranny into a Sport Trac. Just scrap the computer and wire the gauges and everything else like you would a street rod. Of course it wouldn't pass emissions if they test where you live, but that's life.

Again, it's one of those things where if you have to ask then you probably shouldn't do it.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
That 460 block is too wide and tall. Alot of work involved. complete engine bay stiped and redone. Plus suspension to hande the weight.

Here is a better choice if you have the $$$$. Same size as the 302 in the '99 mountaneer. You will have to have headers built in-place. Unless you can find shorties that clear.

If 500hp is not enough. put huffer on it.

I bet the 512/460 is a $12K to $16k price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was assuming he already had the engine and that was why he wanted to put it in there.