Engine Coolant Types

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnM LowryJr

Reaction score
What brand or color of coolant does your trac have in it. Mine is orange is that same as the GM dex cool. What should I use?

Most Fords have the standard yellow coolant. Some did have Dexcool in it. If the fill cap has yellow lettering, its the standard coolant (I would recomend Prestone). If it has red lettering, its Dexcool.

As long as it says
compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant regardless of color for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks.
on the bottle, you can use it. I verified this with a Ford Service Advisor.

This is what I plan on using when I do a flush this spring:

Last edited by a moderator:
The ST only had 2 types in them....

The Green and then the Ford GOLD......

Spend the couple of bucks and use the right coolant....

01-02 Green--- 03 and up Gold..

EDIT: DOH !!

Todd Z

Spend the extra couple of bucks and go to the service counter at a Ford dealer and buy the right coolant if your not sure. My 03 had gold. Its worth the peace of mind you have the right fluid type rather than mix and match IMO.

What year is your trac? If you have orange coolant in your trac, get it out asap.

Todd Z and Big Al,

If a Ford Service Advisor is telling me it's OK to use an anitfreeze that says "All makes, all models, add to any color antifreeze" then why should I pay more for antifreeze from the dealer?

[Broken External Image]:

TT,

True, but peace of mind and availability. Motorcraft coolant at the local dealer was only around 3 bucks more. But if it says all makes and models, I don't see why he can't use it.....

Your truck, your call....

But you know that if any thing happens under a warranty and they ask what coolant you used.... you know what will happen....

I just don't mess around with Universal fluids, Just not me....

Todd Z

You can use any kind of coolant that meets or exceeds Ford's specs. Legally, Ford cannot deny you warranty service unless they can prove the coolant cause the problem.

Ford wants you to believe that only their coolant is the proper coolant, so they encourage you to have doubts about other brands. Prestone has always given me peace of mind

...Rich

Try to find any other coolant that meets current Ford specs. There isn't any.

Ford Gold only for my Trac. Too many problems out there from universal coolant with heater cores, radiators, hoses, etc.

If it were me no matter what coolant I had in my Ford I would flush it all out and only use the Ford gold...that stuff rocks. Hands down th ebest coolant that I have ever seen in any type of vehicle

My 2002 sport trac specs for coolant (from my owners manual) states that I can use the green ford spec number is ESE-M97B44-A, or the gold ford spec number WSS -M97B51-A1

The green Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant meets or exceeds the performance requirements of the following specifications: Ford ESE-M97B44-A

Although ford states either can be used as long as coolant is fully flushed, they do not recommend mixing the two.

Latest posts