Engine Damage?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson Atwell

Reaction score
Today driving from work, my engine started making a loud clacking noise. It is worst at around 3K rpm, but it is even audible during idle as a clicking/tapping noise. I checked the oil and found the engine to be almost 3 quarts low! I had no oil pressure light displayed on the dash.

This Mazda3 has around 36K miles and is 18 months old, and I have always used full synthetic oil. It shouldn't be burning oil and there are no leaks. I filled up the crankcase with new Mobil1 synthetic, but the clacking noise remains. Any clues as to what this noise is, and will it require a rebuild? Will driving it in this condition make it worse? Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
The oil light will not come on until you get down to 7psi of oil presure... Unfortunately 7PSI doesn't cover much over 1,000 RPM ....

It sounds like you lost oil to a lifter or valve train part...

What I normally do is take it for a good beating or rev the motor to high rpms to get the oil and parts moving to accept the oil again....

I don't know IF I recommend you do that.....

But if it sounds like a tap, and not a lower bearing knock, I think it is just a lifter or follower....

Todd Z

Can you get warranty service over there? I doubt it, but I thought I would ask.

With that being said, it is hard to decide what noise is loud and what isn't. Your definition of a loud sound may just be a lifter sound where mine may be a freight train.

Without actually hearing it, it is hard to say for sure.

Where did the oil go? Do you check your oil on a regular basis?

When you said:

I had no oil pressure light displayed on the dash.

Did you mean "I did not have an oil pressure light displayed on the dash", or did you say "I did have a no oil pressure light displayed on the dash"?

An ex girlfriend ran her car down to 1 quart of oil and continued to drive it another 40,000 miles before the frame gave out. It was a 5 quart pan.

The sound you are explaining sounds like lifters.

Could it be possible some of the Pols were stealing your oil? Poland is a poor country. You have had plenty of things stolen from them in the past.

If anything, do you have access to a mechanic there you can trust. it may be best for someone to look at it.

If you need, I can fly over there to check it out to you. Just send two tickets to the Cleveland-Hopkins International Airport. I will pick them up and help you out. My passport is up to date.

Tom

Good news! The engine runs smooth other than the horrible noise. It makes sense what you are saying. So the noise make work itself out now that I have oil back in the crankcase. I sure hope you are right, since I am supposed to go to Warsaw on Saturday (a 5 hour drive). I guess if it makes it there and back I will be good to go...otherwise I better take some hiking boots with me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom, I don't know where the oil went. It was just changed two months ago. I came back a few days ago from Lithuania (a 10 hour drive), but I was dumb and didn't check the oil. I have never had a car that burned or lost oil before, but maybe Mazdas use oil differently than other cars I have had.

Tom, I don't mind you coming to visit me, but I can't pay. I'd just buy a new engine for the price of tickets. Nice idea though. :lol:

Tom, I don't mind you coming to visit me, but I can't pay. I'd just buy a new engine for the price of tickets. Nice idea though. :lol:

You are also aware that if you are in my area, you do have a place to stay if you want to...right?

Tom

Nelson,

My parents live in the ghetto. I live in a decent area. Remember, nice area's attract scumbags.

Tom

I had something similar happen to me, just not a vehicle. Several years ago I was mowing my yard with a Sears Craftsman push mower. It stopped so I checked the gas. Plenty of gas. So I tried the pull starter and I could not move it. I checked the oil, no oil and I just had checked it before I started mowing. I looked under the mower and on the yard. Not a drop of oil showing up anywhere. So I took it to the Sears store here and showed them what was wrong and wasn't doing. After sitting there for 2 weeks and another 2 weeks at their service center I got a call from Sears service center. The guy asked me what was wrong with it. I told him. He then told me the mower I could hear running in the back ground was mine and he could not find anything wrong with it. The funny thing was when I asked him where had the oil gone and what brought it back, he said "He said he had no idea". The mower ran great for a long time after that, till it just plain wore out. Maybe if you leave it for 4 weeks your oil will show up too.:lol: Sorry I could not help, just thought you could use something to laugh at. Oh and another funny one. When I took my Doge K station wagon in to the Ford dealership for a trade on a Aerostar, I had a sticker on the back window. It said "If this car was a horse I would shoot it".:lol: I wouldn't really shoot a horse, the car yes!